|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
Bhognipur power station
Bhognipur power station is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Uttar Pradesh, India.
The map below shows Bhognipur taluk, the location where the plant would be built.
Background on Plant
The proposed 1,320 MW power station received environmental clearance in 2012.
In 2013 it was reported that infrastructure firm Lanco Infratech was putting construction of the power station on hold, due to "the turbulent economic environment, volatile currency and shortage of resources."
The MOU for the project was extended for 18 months in December 2013. Lanco Group had also signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with China Development Bank to raise loans for the project.
In November 2014 it was reported that Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission had cleared the project.
The plant is not included in a March 2016 India government list of coal plants under construction.
As of December 2016 the project is not listed on the company website or on the Ministry of Power's Broad Status Report. It appears to be shelved or abandoned.
In June 2017 the government of Uttar Pradesh cancelled the power purchase agreement (PPA) for the project, citing the company's failure of procure a fuel supply even after three deadline extensions.
- Sponsor: Himavat Power
- Parent company: Lanco Group
- Location: Chaperghata, Rasulpur Bhuranda, Kripalpur and Bhartauli villages, Bhognipur taluk, Ramabai Nagar district, Uttar Pradesh
- Coordinates: 26.194167, 79.9075 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Unit 1: 660 MW
- Unit 2: 660 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing: China Development Bank
- Permits and applications: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, August 3, 2012
Resources and articles
- Environmental clearance, India MoEF, August 3, 2012.
- "Lanco Infra puts two mega power projects on the back burner," Indian Express, Sep 15, 2013.
- "Extension granted to 9 power projects in UP," Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy Pvt. Ltd., Dec 12, 2013.
- "U.P. power panel quashes setting up thermal plants," The Hindu, Nov 4, 2014
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- Anupam Chatterjee, "Uttar Pradesh: Government cancels 7 PPAs for 7,040-MW projects sans fuel linkage," Financial Express, 1 June 2017