Bongaigaon power station
Bongaigaon power station is a 750-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station under construction in Assam, India.
The photo below shows the project.
Stage I: 750 MW
Construction on the project began in May 2008 with three 250 MW units, projected to be commissioned in July 2012, November 2012, and October 2014, respectively.
In 2013 it was reported that the three units would likely not be commissioned until 2015. The first unit began testing toward commissioning in March 2015, and was commissioned in June 2015. The full 750 MW is planned to be completed in 2017.
The project cost is Rs 5,000 crore.
According to the July 2016 Broad Status Report, progress on Units 2 and 3 has been substantially delayed due to a variety of factors, including:
- "Law and order issues. Frequent bandhs leading to stoppage of work."
- "Work has come to halt in Jul '12, May '14 & Dec '14 due to violence and mass exodus of labour from site.
- Poor performance of BOP/Civil contractors.
- Heavy rains.
The Broad Status Report noted: "Owing to poor performance of main plant civil agencies (SPML, Punjlloyd) their contracts were terminated on 25.11.13. Balance works of U-2&3 awarded to NBCC on 29/09/14. NBCC finalized its sub agencies on 06/01/15 and construction works commenced in Feb’15 due to delay in mobilization by M/s NBCC."
In December 2015 NTPC said Unit 2 of Bongaigaon was planned to be commissioned by March 2017, and Unit 3 in March 2018.
Unit 2 was commissioned in March 2017.
On December 30, 2018, NTPC said the full 750 MW of the plant "will be shortly made available."
Stage II: 250 MW expansion
On December 8, 2010, NTPC was issued a ToR (Terms of Reference) by the Ministry of Environment and Forestry for an additional 250 MW plant at the same location. No additional land will be required by the additional unit. The Chakrashila Wildlife Sanctuary is located 7.0 kilometers from the site.
As of May 2016, NTPC has not pursued environmental clearance for this project. It appears to be abandoned.
Location: Kumguri village, Kokrajhar taluk and district, Assam
Coordinates: 26.4443702, 90.3672051 (exact)
- Stage I (750 MW) - Operating (Units 1 and 2); Construction (Unit 3)
- Stage II (250 MW) - Cancelled
- Stage I, Unit 1: 250 MW
- Stage I, Unit 2: 250 MW
- Stage I, Unit 3: 250 MW
- Stage II: 250 MW
Start date: Unit 1: 2015; Unit 2: 2017; Unit 3: 2019
- Stage II: unknown
Coal Source: Margherita area in Assam under North-Eastern Coal Fields LTD (NECL) and Raniganj in West Bengal under Eastern Coal Fields Ltd (ECL)
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications:
- Stage I, Units 1-3 Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, June 7, 2007
- Stage II: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, December 8, 2010
Articles and resources
- National Thermal Power Corporation, "Future Capacity Additions", National Thermal Power Corporation website, accessed June 2010.
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country" Government of India Ministry of Power, February 2012.
- "McNally to install coal handling plant at Bongaigaon TPP", February 04, 2010.
- "Local issues impact NTPC's Rs 4,750-crore Assam project," Business Standard, Aug 5, 2013.
- "NTPC Investor Presentation August 2014,"
- "Progress in Bongaigaon thermal unit," The Telegraph, March 3, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," India CEA, November 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- "NTPC commissions 1st 250-mw unit of much-delayed Assam project," Eastern Mirror. June 23, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, July 2016
- "NTPC Salakati plant to be operational soon," Assam Times, 15/12/2016
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, April 2017
- "NTPC to hike power production in Assam by 250 MW," BS, December 30, 2018
- "1×250 MW for Bongaigaon PP Stage by NTPC Ltd," Thermal MoEF News, July 1, 2011