Chandrapur Thermal Power Station
Chandrapur Thermal Power Station is a 2,920-megawatt (MW) power station in Maharashtra, India.
The map below shows the location of the plant, approximately six kilometers from the city of Chandrapur.
The original power station comprised Units 1-4 (210MW each) and units 5-7 (500MW each).
Units 1-2 were retired in 2016, after units 8-9 went online.
Unit 8-9 Expansion
In 2014 a 1000MW expansion of the plant was underway with the addition of 2 x 500MW units (units 8-9). Units 8 & 9 were expected to be commissioned by June 2014 and January 2015 respectively, later pushed to November 2014 for unit 8 and March 2015 for unit 9.
In April 2015 Western Coalfields Limited agreed to supply coal to the new Chandrapur unit 8 on a temporary basis until it gets a permanent linkage. Of the six recently commissioned units by Mahagenco, there is no permanent linkage for five of them, as Mahagenco's captive mines in Odisha - Machchhakatta and Mahanadi - have been de-allocated following the orders of Supreme Court.
Project details for Units 8-9
Sponsor: Maharashtra State Power Generation Company
Location: Chandrapur village, Chandrapur district, Maharashtra
Coordinates: 20.0063,79.29 (exact)
Capacity: 1,000 MW (Units 8&9: 500 MW)
Projected in service: 2015 (Unit 8), 2016 (Unit 9)
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Environmental Clearance for units 8-9, India MoEF, January 30, 2009
- "Chandrapur Super Thermal Power Station", Collector Office, Chandrapur website, accessed December 2011.
- Maharashtra State Power Generation Company, "Installed Capacity", Maharashtra State Power Generation Company website, accessed November 2011.
- "Retirement of old & inefficient thermal units by supercritical units- Decommissioning & retirement of Mahagenco's 2*210MW units -1 & 2 of CSTPS Chandrapur," India CEA, Oct 21, 2016
- "CSTPS begins induction of 500MW unit," TNN, Mar 31, 2014.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, February 2014
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, June 2014
- "CSTPS new 500MW unit synchronized," Times of India, Jan 12, 2015
- "New Koradi, Chanda power units to start soon," Times of India, May 17, 2015
- "Projects," Maharashtra State Power Generation Company website, accessed April 2015
- "Supply of coal to Power Plants," India Ministry of Power, July 23, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- Ashish Roy, "WCL to give coal for two new Genco units," Times of India, Apr 19, 2015