Chhabra Thermal Power Station
Chhabra Thermal Power Station is a 1000-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Rajasthan state, India.
A 1320 MW expansion of the power station is under construction.
Location: Units 1-4
The plant is located at Motipura Chowki village, Chaabra tehsil, Baran district, Rajasthan, India.
Location: Units 5-6
Units 5-6 are located to the north of the existing plant.
The power station is owned and operated by Rajasthan RV Utpadan Nigam (RVUN or RRVUN), a government-owned utility. It began as a 500 MW power station, commissioned in 2009-2010. The power station was later expanded by two 250 MW units (Units 3&4). Unit 3 was commissioned in 2013, and unit 4 in 2014.
Units 5 and 6: Stage III
Two more 660 MW units (Units 5 and 6) have a proposed commissioning schedule during the 12th Plan (2012-17).
On its website (March 2012), the company reported the following details regarding toward Stage III:
- 2163 Bigha land acquired; Section 4 Notification for additional 189 bigha land issued
- 1570 mcft water (300 mcft from Lhasi dam & 1270 mcft from Parwan dam) allocated by WRD
- TOR issued on dated 11.12.09 by MoEF & Public hearing conducted at site on 15.02.10; application for EC submitted to MoEF on dated 28.12.2010
- M/s TCE appointed as project consultant
- Presentation for EC has been made on dated 05.07.2011 at MoEF, New Delhi.
- Case for Long Term Linkage recommended by MoP & forwarded to MoC
- Stage-I forest clearance has been accorded by MoEF to “Parsa East and Kante Basan” coal blocks
- Price bids of EPC tenders opened on 10.01.11 & are under examination; orders are in final stage & to be placed after allocation of coal linkage & issuance of Environmental Clearance
- Commissioning schedule – in 12th Plan
- Constraints –
- Parwan Major Irrigation Project is an interstate project & clearance from MOE&F required. This project to be expedited by WRD on priority
- EC from MoEF pending for want of coal linkage
- EC from MoEF pending for coal block
The project received environmental clearance in 2012.
According to the India government (November 2016), unit 5 was synchronized in October 2016 and commissioned in April 2017. Unit 6 is planned for 2018, but as of January 2019 there is no news it was commissioned.
In 2017 NTPC signed a non-binding MoU with the Rajasthan government to take over the Chhabra thermal power plant. While the total cost of the plant is estimated to around Rs 150 billion, NTPC was supposed to pay around Rs 50 billion for 1000 MW. The deal however is stuck for political reasons. A non-binding MoU allows the parties to modify the terms later.
Sponsor: Rajasthan RV Utpadan Nigam
Location: Chowki-Motipura village, Chhabra tehsil, Baran district, Rajasthan
Coordinates: Units 1-4: 24.62092, 77.035439 (exact); Units 5-6: 24.63433, 77.0385039 (exact)
Status and capacity:
- Unit 1 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned October 30, 2009)
- Unit 2 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned May 4, 2010)
- Unit 3 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned September 14, 2013)
- Unit 4 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned 30 June 2014)
- Unit 5 - 660 MW - Operating (commissioned April 4, 2017)
- Unit 6 - 660 MW - Construction
Type: Units 5 & 6: Supercritical
Projected in service: Unit 6: 2019
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications Units 5 & 6: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, May 23, 2012
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Chhaba Thermal Power Station", Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited, accessed March 2012.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, June 2014
- "Chhabra TTP Unit 5 & 6", Rajasthan RV Utpadan Nigam website, accessed March 2012.
- Chhabra TPP Unit-5 & 6 (2X660 MW ), Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd. website, accessed March 2012
- Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, May 23, 2012
- "MHPS in control systems deal for India supercritical coal plant," PEI, 20/03/2015
- "Chhaba Thermal Power Station", Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited, accessed September 8, 2015
- "Ongoing Projects," RRVUN website, accessed September 8, 2015
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, March 2017
- Shreya Jai, "NTPC takes equity stake in two Bihar state power projects for Rs 21 billion: MoU with Rajasthan for Chhabra power plant stuck as elections loom," Business Standard, June 30, 2018
- "Chhabra Coal Power Plant", Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012.
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, April 2017