|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
Cilacap power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Cilacap power station is a proposed 5,000-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Central Java Province, Indonesia.
The map below shows the location of Bunton Village, the approximate location where the plant would be built in Adipala District, Cilacap Regency, Central Java Province. The Adipala power station is also located in Bunton, and the Cilacap Sumber power station is several kilometers to the west.
Background on Project
In November 2014, PT Jawa Energy, a private consortium of Chinese and Indonesian investors, announced that it was planning to build a five-unit, 5,000-MW coal-fired power plant in Central Java Province. The plant's developers hope to begin construction in 2015. The plant would be built in two phases, over four years. The governor of Central Java formed a task force to work with the investors on processing the project's applications. Estimated total cost would be 120 trillion Rupiah, or $10 billion. The project's developers had already applied for environmental permits at that time.
Apart from being a private consortium of Chinese & Indonesian investors, the specific identity and ownership of PT Jawa Energy is very unclear, and has been the subject of speculation in the news media.
According to a February 2015 report, the project was facing delays due to licensing issues with the Ministry of Agriculture and Spatial Planning / National Defense Agency (BPN) - Kementerian agrarian dan Tata Ruang/Badan Pertahanan Nasional.
The project is not included in the PT PLN 2016-2025 long-range plan. It appears for now to be shelved.
As of December 2018 there had been no further news about this project and it appears to have been cancelled.
- Sponsor: PT Jawa Energy
- Parent company: Unclear
- Location: Bunton Village, Adipala District, Cilacap Regency, Central Java Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -7.684, 109.131 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 5,000 MW (Units 1-5: 1,000 MW)
- Type: Ultra-Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Subbituminous
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Parwito, Disuntik RRC, PLTU Cilacap mulai dibangun tahun 2015, Merdeka, 21 Nov. 2014.
- Pratama Guitarra, Jawa Energy bangun PLTU jumbo di Cilacap, Kontan, 7 Nov. 2014.
- Rusdi Mathari, Malu-malu(in) ala Jawa Energi, Rusdi GoBlog, 13 Nov. 2014.
- "Proyek PLTU Cilacap Terancam Molor, Terganjal Izin BPN," Miner's Life 2/24/15
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016, Table 6.7, p. 109