Coalition to Save Local Businesses
The Coalition to Save Local Businesses (CSLB) is a coalition of pro-corporate organizations and trade associations, formed with the help of the International Franchise Association, that opposes the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) "joint-employer rule" -- a ruling that holds large corporations that operate franchises jointly accountable with franchise owners for employment conditions. CSLB attempts to change the narrative surrounding the NLRB joint-employer rule from joint accountability for franchisors and franchisees to the idea that this rule allows franchisors more control over franchisees or that this rule will cause small businesses to close, despite small businesses already having sole liability for employment conditions in the absence of the joint-employer rule.
The IFA appears to have operational control of the CSLB, which recently named IFA's Vice President for Regulatory Affairs, Michael Layman, the Executive Director of CSLB. CSLB's website, SaveLocalBusinesses.com, was registered on December 24, 2014 by Sajjad Khan of the IFA. The registration information for the website lists the registrant and administrator of the website as the IFA. CSLB Executive Director Layman currently works for both IFA and CSLB and will be a "day-to-day liaison" between CSLB members and Congress. Further, IFA President and CEO Stephen Caldeira recently encouraged thousands of attendees at the 2015 IFA annual convention to become active in initiatives such as CSLB.
CSLB describes itself as "a diverse group of locally owned, independent small businesses, associations and organizations that have joined together to protect all of America's small businesses that have fueled our nation's economic growth for decades." It states that it is "dedicated to protecting and strengthening all sectors of small business, in particular the franchise business model."
CSLB maintains its internet presence at savelocalbusinesses.com. Along with hosting information and articles posted by CSLB, Savelocalbusinesses.com has a page that will look up a visitor's representatives and then allow that visitor to send a pre-written, anti-NLRB letter to each representative.
As of April 2015, there was little data available on this relatively new group's actual revenue or expenses.
- Dexter & Djenane Bartholomew, Golden Corral Franchisee
- Stephen Bienko, College Hunks Hauling Junk Franchisee
- Herv Breault, Philly Pretzel Factory Franchisee
- Lani Dolifka, Watermill Express Franchisor
- Steve Duprey, Choice Hotels Franchisee
- Clint Ehlers, FASTSIGNS Franchisee
- Aslam Khan, Falcon Holdings CEO
- Saundra Kitchen, Mr. Rooter Franchisee
- Gerald Moore, The Little Gym Franchisee
- Tabbassum Mumtaz, Apex Brands Owner
- Matthew Patinkin, Double P Corporation Co-Founder
- John Sims, Rainbow Station Franchisee
- Brooke and Les Wilson, Two Men and a Truck Franchisee
- American Hotel and Lodging Association
- Asian-American Hotel Owners Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Coalitions of Franchise Associations
- The Association of Chief Human Resources Officers
- Job Creators Network
- National Association of Home Builders
- NRF’s Chain Restaurant Division
- National Federation of Independent Business
- National Restaurant Association
- National Retail Federation
- Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce - The Spirit of Enterprise
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Workforce Freedom Initiative
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Articles and Resources
- International Franchise Association, "Coalition to Save Local Businesses," organizational website, accessed February 24, 2015.
- Coalition to Save Local Businesses, "Michael Layman Named Executive Director of the Coalition to Save Local Businesses," organizational campaign website, February 24, 2015.
- "Savelocalbusinesses.com Registry," Whois.com, accessed February 25, 2015.
- Coalition to Save Local Businesses, "IFA Convention Shines Spotlight on CSLB and Need for Engagement," organizational campaign website, February 18, 2015.
- Coalition to Save Local Businesses, "Hotel Industry Key Ally in New Business Coalition to Protect Existing Franchise Model," organizational campaign website, February 11, 2015.
- Coalition to Save Local Businesses, "Our Mission," organizational campaign website, accessed February 24, 2015.
- Coalition to Save Local Businesses, "Urge Congress to Take Action to Save Local Businesses," organization campaign website, accessed February 25, 2015.
- Coalition to Save Local Businesses, "Contact Us," organizational campaign website, accessed February 25, 2015.