Cong Thanh power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
Cong Thanh power station is a 600-megawatt (MW) coal plant under construction in Thanh Hóa province, Vietnam.
The undated satellite photo below shows the supposed location for the plant in Nghi Son Economic Zone, Tĩnh Gia district, Thanh Hóa province. The massive Nghi Son Refinery & Petrochemical Complex is currently being built at this location.
In March 2011, construction on the two-unit, 600-MW, $620 million Cong Thanh power station broke ground in the Nghi Son Economic Zone, in the northern-central province of Thanh Hoa. In July 2012, General Electric announced that it would be supplying one of the new plant's turbines.
As of May 2015, construction on the plant was apparently still not underway, being held up for unspecified reasons.
Also within the Nghi Son Economic Zone is the nearby Nghi Son power station, which is also currently under development; slightly further south, across the provincial border in Nghệ An province, is the Quynh Lap power station project site.
According to the revised Power Development Plan VII, the project is under construction and will be completed in 2020.
The massive Nghi Son Refinery & Petrochemical Complex is currently being built at the location where the Cong Thanh coal plant would supposedly be built. Satellite imagery from January 2016 through May 2018 does not show appear to show construction on a coal plant at the refinery.
- Sponsor: Cong Thanh Thermal Power Joint Stock Company
- Parent company: Cong Thanh Group
- Location: Nghi Son Economic Zone, Tĩnh Gia district, Thanh Hóa province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 19.358, 105.779 (exact)
- Status: Permitted (ground breaking ceremony but no further construction)
- Gross Capacity: 600 MW (Units 1 & 2: 300 MW)
- Projected in service: 2020
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Hon Gai and Cam Pha mines, Quang Ninh province, Vietnam
- Source of financing: 80% commercial loans through Commercial Bank of Vietnam & Bank for Foreign Trade; 20% self-funded
Articles and resources
- Construction of Thermal Power Plant Begins in Thanh Hoa, Vietnam News Agency, May 3, 2011.
- The United States and Vietnam – Promoting Economic Ties, U.S. Consulate General Press Release, July 10, 2012.
- Overcoming the delay situation of implementing the BOT and IPP Power Projects, Vietnam Energy, 21 Apr. 2015.
- DANH MỤC CÁC DỰ ÁN NGUỒN ĐIỆN VÀO VẬN HÀNH GIAI ĐOẠN 2016 - 2030, Ban hành kèm theo Quyết định số 428/QĐ-TTg ngày 18 tháng 3 năm 2016 của Thủ tướng Chính phủ (LIST OF POWER PROJECT IN OPERATION PERIOD 2016 - 2030, Issued together with Decision No. 428 / QD - TTg of March 18, 2016 by the Prime Minister)
- Start of Cong Thanh Thermal Power Plant, Yen Dinh District website (archived on March 1, 2014)