Dan Kapanke is a former Republican state senator of Wisconsin's 32nd Senate District. In Wisconsin's 2011 recall elections, Kapanke lost his seat to current senator Jennifer Shilling.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Sen. Kapanke is a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and an alternate on ALEC's Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force. He spent $100 of taxpayer funds to pay for his ALEC membership in 2011, according to One Wisconsin Now.  In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Sen. Kapanke co-sponsored 5 bills that reflect ALEC models, according to an analysis by the Center for Media and Democracy.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Sen. Kapanke introduced or co-sponsored the following legislation in 2011: 
- Legislature prohibted from passing a bill placing requirements on local governmental units unless it contains an appropriation covering all costs: constitutional amendment (1st consideration)............AJR-46
- Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) created; Comm.Dept duties and public employee and WRS provisions............JR1SB-6
Support from Tea Party group "American Majority Action"
2011 / 2012 Committee Assignments
Senate Standing Committees:
- Committee on Agriculture, Forestry, and Higher Education (Chair)
- Committee on Energy, Biotechnology, and Consumer Protection
- Committee on Financial Institutions and Rural Issues
- Committee on Workforce Development, Small Business, and Tourism
- Joint Survey Committee on Retirement Systems (Co-Chair)
- Legislative Council Study Committees:
- Special Committee on Justice Reinvestment Initiative Oversight
- Scot Ross, "One Wisconsin Now Exclusive: WI Senators Paying Corporate ALEC Membership with Tax Dollars, One Wisconsin Now website, May 8, 2011
- Kapanke 2011 bills, Wisconsin legislature website, accessed Aug 1, 2011.
- Center for Responsive Politics American Majority Action: Outside Spending Summary 2010, OpenSecrets.org report, accessed May 10, 2011
- Kapanke Committee Assignments, Legislative Website, accessed Aug 1, 2011.