During 1983-84 he was an Economic Advisor to the World Bank, and then Research Administrator (1984-87), on leave from University College, London.
Other positions held include:
- Professor Emeritus of Political Economy, University College London
- Institute of Economic Affairs, co-director of the Trade and Development Unit
- Center for Policy Studies, co-director of the Trade Policy Unit (1994-97)
- Nestle Lecture, Chairman of the board of advisors (1994-98)
- Advisory Board, World Growth 
- Academic Advisory Council, Politeia