Derek Crawford has been the District Director for State & Local Government Affairs of Kraft Foods Global, Inc. since March 2007. His district includes Kraft’s global headquarters and approximately 40% of its plant operations in the U.S.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Crawford is on the Private Enterprise Board of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) as of 2011. Crawford has also represented Kraft on ALEC's Commerce, Insurance and Economic Development Task Force and Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Crawford registered as a lobbyist for Kraft Foods in Nebraska, most recently in 2007; for both Kraft Foods and Philip Morris in Kansas in 2005; and was reported to be a "chief Ohio lobbyist" for Philip Morris in 1999.
According to the July 1, 2009 press release announcing Crawford's appointment to ALEC's Private Sector Board of Directors, "He joined Philip Morris USA in 1990 just after working more than six years for the State of Delaware and his home town of Wilmington, DE. . . In 1993, he was appointed Manager for Issues Planning, leading the company's Issues Management Staff and provided leadership and expertise in the development and coordination of strategic action plans addressing external issues impacting the company." He came to Kraft in 2007 directly from its former parent Altria (Philip Morris). 
Related SourceWatch articles
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Derek Crawford, Kraft Foods, Inc., organizational website, accessed July 8, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Private Enterprise Board, organizational website, accessed July 7, 2011.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Derek Crawford, organizational biography, accessed July 9, 2011.
- Nebraska Accountability and Disclosure Commission 2007 Detail view for Crawford, Derek (Lobbyist), Nebraska State Government website, accessed June 1, 2011
- Governmental Ethics Commission Summary of Expenditures Reported by Registered Lobbyists, Kansas State Government report, September-December 2005
- Michael Hawthorne Questioning the motives of a helpful Philip Morris, Cincinnati Enquirer, June 6, 1999
- Derek Crawford of Kraft Foods Global, Inc., Joins Board of National Legislators' Organization, ALEC press release (contact Jorge Amselle), July 1, 2009, available from Targeted News Service.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|