Diler Elbistan power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Diler Elbistan power station also known as 'Akbayır Termik Santral' is a proposed 400-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Kahramanmaraş province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of Akbayır town, the approximate location where the plant would be built in Elbistan district, Kahramanmaraş province.
Background on Plant
In January 2013, Diler Elektrik began the environmental permitting process to build a 400-MW coal-fired power plant in the coal-rich province of Kahramanmaraş. In public permitting meetings in the town of Akbayır, held in February 2013, locals expressed opposition to the proposed plant. Turks living overseas have also protested.
In April 2015 the project was reported as having obtained pre-license.
Opponents claim that the River Ceyhan was not properly considered in the EIA, which was approved in 2018. As of June 2018, the project has received EIA approval but still lacks a license from EMRA.
- Sponsor: Diler Elektrik Üretim
- Parent company: Diler Holding
- Location: Akbayır town, Elbistan district, Kahramanmaraş province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 38.16, 37.33 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Detailed status: EIA approved; no EMRA license
- Gross capacity: 400 MW
- Projected in service: TBD
- Coal type: lignite
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Diler Elbistan Termik Santrali ÇED süreci başladı, Elbistanın Sesi, Jan. 23, 2013.
- Akbayır'da termik santrale onay çıkmadı!, Enerji Günlügü, Mar. 5, 2013.
- Akbayır santralına Londra’da protesto, Hürriyet, Mar. 5, 2018.
- Financing Coal: High Carbon Arithmetic of Turkey, 350.org, April 2015
- 250 bin insana ve Ceyhan’a ne olacak?, Elbistanın Sesi, Feb. 8, 2018.
- Akbayır Termik Santraline ÇED onayı, Elbistanın Sesi, Jan. 30, 2018.
- [Communication with CAN Europe, June 2018