Discovery Communications, Inc. (DCI) describes itself as "the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.8 billion cumulative subscribers in 218 countries and territories." Discovery Communications is publicly traded entity. The company started as a single channel in 1985, the Discovery Channel.
DCI now produces multiple channels such as BBC America, TLC, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, Discovery Health Channel, the Oprah Winfrey Channel, The Hub, the Investigation Discovery channel, The Military Channel, and, in partnership with the New York Times, The Discovery Times.
Discovery Communications posted $4.235 billion in total revenues in 2011. CNN Money ranked Discovery Communications as the 7th fast-growing company in the country in 2012.
Ties to Pete Peterson's "Fix the Debt"
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem."
This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's investigation of Pete Peterson's Campaign to "Fix the Debt." Please visit our main SourceWatch page on Fix the Debt.
|About Fix the Debt|
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Through a special report and new interactive wiki resource, the Center for Media and Democracy -- in partnership with the Nation magazine -- exposes the funding, the leaders, the partner groups, and the phony state "chapters" of this astroturf supergroup. Learn more at PetersonPyramid.org and in the Nation magazine.
Board of Directors
As of February 2013: 
- John S. Hendricks, Founder & Chairman, Discovery Communications
- Robert R. Beck - Independent Financial Consultant
- Robert R. Bennett - Managing Director, Hilltop Investments
- Paul A. Gould - Managing Director, Allen & Company, LLC
- Lawrence "Larry" S. Kramer - Senior Advisor, Polaris Venture Partners
- John C. Malone - Chairman, Liberty Media Corporation and Liberty Global, Inc.
- Robert J. Miron - Chairman, Advance/Newhouse Communications
- Steven A. Miron - CEO, Bright House Networks
- M. LaVoy Robison - Executive Director, The Anschutz Foundation
- J. David Wargo - President, Wargo & Company, Inc.
- Former President - Judith McHale
Accessed February, 2013: 
- David M. Zaslav, President & CEO, Discovery Communications
- Joe Abruzzese, President, Advertising Sales
- Adria Alpert Romm, Senior Executive Vice President, Human Resources & Global Diversity
- Bruce Campbell, Chief Development Officer & General Counsel
- Bill Goodwyn, President, Global Distribution; CEO, Discovery Education
- Mark Hollinger, President and CEO, Discovery Networks International
- David C. Leavy, Chief Communications Officer; Senior Executive Vice President, Corporate Marketing & Affairs
- Jean-Briac (JB) Perrette, Chief Digital Officer
- Andrew Warren, Senior Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
DCI World Headquarters
One Discovery Place
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Phone: (240) 662-2000
- Rory O'Connor, "The Military Channel", MediaChannel.org, December 6, 2004.
- Bill Berkowitz, "Discovery Network to launch The Military Channel: Startup will 'attract new viewers and sponsors,' DCI pres gushes"”, Working For Change, December 9, 2004.
Resources and articles
Featured SourceWatch Articles on Fix the Debt
- Fix the Debt Portal Page
- Fix the Debt's Leadership
- Fix the Debt's Partner Groups
- Fix the Debt's State Chapters
- Fix the Debt's Lobbyists
- Fix the Debt's Parent Group
- Fix the Debt's Corporations
- Pete Peterson
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- America Speaks
- Simpson-Bowles Commission
- Erskine Bowles
- Alan Simpson
- Social Security
Related Sourcewatch articles
- ↑ Discovery Communications, "Company Overview", organization website, accessed February 20, 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Discovery at a Glance", Discovery Communications, Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- ↑ Discovery Communications "2011 Annual Report", organizational website, accessed February 13, 2013
- ↑ CNN Money, 100 fastest growing businesses, Accessed 2/11/2013.
- ↑ Discovery Communications, "Leadership", organizational website, accessed February 13, 2013
- ↑ Discovery Communications, "Board of Directors", organizational website, accessed February 13, 2013
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|