Dung Quat power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
Dung Quat Power Station was a proposed 1,200-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Quảng Ngãi province, Vietnam. The project is now being developed as a gas turbine combined cycle power plant.
The map below shows the location of the Dung Quat Economic Zone, the approximate location where the plant will be built in Bình Sơn district, Quảng Ngãi province.
In Jan. 2012, Sembcorp announced an initial agreement with the Quảng Ngãi provincial government for its plans to build a 1,200-MW coal power plant in the Dung Quat Economic Zone. In May 2013, Sembcorp announced that the proposed plant had been incorporated by the Vietnamese government into its ten-year national power development plan, signaling government approval of the project; Sembcorp signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Vietnam's Ministry of Industry & Trade in Sept. 2013. The plant is expected to come online in 2020-21, and would cost nearly $2 billion.
Switched to gas
Under Power Development Plan VII, revised in March 2016, this project will use gas rather than coal. 
- Sponsor: Sembcorp Utilities Vietnam
- Parent company: Sembcorp Industries
- Location: Bình Sơn district, Quảng Ngãi province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 15.35790, 108.80911 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled as a coal plant - will use gas for fuel
- Gross Capacity: 1,200 MW
- Projected in service: 2020 (Unit 1), 2021 (Unit 2)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Sembcorp to Look Into Developing 1,200 MW Coal-Fired Power Plant, EnergyAsia, Jan. 13, 2012.
- Sembcorp's 1,200-Megawatt Power Project Obtains Approval to Be Included in Vietnam's Power Development Master Plan, Sembcorp press release, May 31, 2013.
- Sembcorp to Build 1,200 MW Thermal Power Plant in Central Vietnam, American Chamber of Commerce Vietnam website, accessed Jan. 2014.
- DANH MỤC CÁC DỰ ÁN NGUỒN ĐIỆN VÀO VẬN HÀNH GIAI ĐOẠN 2016 - 2030, Ban hành kèm theo Quyết định số 428/QĐ-TTg ngày 18 tháng 3 năm 2016 của Thủ tướng Chính phủ (LIST OF POWER PROJECT IN OPERATION PERIOD 2016 - 2030, Issued together with Decision No. 428 / QD - TTg of March 18, 2016 by the Prime Minister)