|This article is part of the FrackSwarm coverage of fracking.|
EcoEléctrica is a Puerto Rican energy corporation headquartered in Peñuelas, Puerto Rico. Since the 2000s, EcoElectrica has the exclusive right to ship liquefied natural gas to Puerto Rico. Its main shareholder is GasNatural Fenosa.  EcoEléctrica LNG is a joint venture between Kenetech Energy Systems and Enron Development Corporation.
In 1995 the executive director of PREPA facilitated the creation of a Power Purchase Agreement, which began the creation of EcoEléctrica. It took several years for financing and fuel agreements to come into place. Groundbreaking for the facility was held in 1998, with commercial operations and the LNG terminal operations beginning in 2000.
In June 2008, EcoEléctrica started the environmental impact assessment of the LNG terminal modification project, including construction and operation of natural gas pipeline facilities.
The 540-megawatt EcoEléctrica runs on liquefied natural gas arriving by tanker from Trinidad and Tobago.
EcoEléctrica owns and operates a liquefied natural gas regasification terminal with a storage tank of 160,000 cubic meters in Punta Guayanilla, Peñuelas on Puerto Rico’s southern coast. The power generated by EcoEléctrica is transmitted to the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) operated power grid. Steam generated by the waste heat from exhaust gasses is used in both a Toshiba-supplied steam turbine and a desalination plant.
EcoEléctrica has an above land storage facility, where the company is able to hold one million gallons of LNG in liquid form. The facility also has four regasification units, each with a capacity to regasify 93 million square feet of gas per day, two of which are always active and two remain as back ups in case of problems.
Articles and resources
- 78 FR 143 pgs. 44943-44944 - EcoEléctrica, L.P.; Notice of Application. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- GasNatural Fenosa: Pide exención contributiva al Gobierno. Omar Alfonso. 18 May 2011. Page 6. La Perla del Sur. Ponce, Puerto Rico. Year 29, Issue 1433. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Suenan candidatos para junta del PLA. Jason Rodríguez Grafal. La Perla del Sur. Ponce, Puerto Rico. 30 December 2013. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "EcoElectrica LNG Import Terminal and Cogeneration Project" TETRA TECH EC, INC, Company Website, accessed September 22, 2015.
- "EcoElectra" BE Oil & Gas, April 17, 2014.
- "EcoEléctrica, L.P.; Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Assessment for the Proposed Ecoeléctrica Terminal Modification Project and Request for Comments on Environmental Issues", United States Environmental Protection Agency (2008-06-11). Retrieved on 2008-08-01.
- "Why Is Puerto Rico Burning Oil to Generate Electricity?" Daniel Gross, Slate, May 30 2014.
Related SourceWatch articles
For state-by-state information on fracking click on the map below:
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|