Eemshaven Power Station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Netherlands and coal.|
Eemshaven Power Station is a 1600-megawatt (MW) power station in the Netherlands.
The photo below shows the plant in Eemshaven.
The power station is proposed by RWE. On its website, RWE states that "the authorities in charge at the Eemshaven location in Groningen province are currently processing the request for approval (MER) for building the plant. RWE submitted the records in January 2007." RWE lists it as one of its major capital investments at a cost of 2.2 billion euros.
The 50 hectare site is located at Eemshaven port.
The plant was initially scheduled to begin operation by 2014, and will be partially fueled by biomass. However, in mid-2014 RWE announced that due to a fault in the first boiler, commissioning of the units would be delayed to 2015.
The two 800 MW units were commissioned on May 1 and July 1, 2015, respectively.
The Council of State court revoked the power station's 2008 nature protection permits issued by Groningen and Friesland, saying the assessment of impact on protected areas was incomplete. In March 2012 RWE re-applied for the disputed environmental permits.
On September 9, 2015, the Council of State said the environmental license issued to RWE for the coal plant was granted properly, removing the last hurdle to operating the plant at full capacity.
- Sponsor: Essent
- Parent company: RWE
- Developer: Alstom & KSB Aktiengesellschaft
- Location: Eemshaven, Groningen
- Coordinates: 53.4355019, 6.879276 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Unit 1: 800 MW
- Unit 2: 800 MW
- Type: Ultra-Supercritical
- Start date: 2015
- Coal Type: Hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- RWE, "Eemshaven power plant", RWE website, accessed July 2008.
- RWE, "RWE Facts & Figures 2007", RWE website,, May 2007, page 137.
- "Eemshaven power station (Netherlands)," RWE, accessed September 2012.
- "RWE delays start of 1.6 GW Dutch coal plant to 2015", Platts, July 3, 2014.
- "RWE with problems in UK - increase in earnings in the renewable energy division," REI, Aug 13, 2015
- "Power in Europe," Platts report, Issue 675, April 28, 2014 (subscription only).
- "Dutch court gives green light to RWE's coal plant," Reuters, Sep 9, 2015