|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
- MSHA ID: 3605466
- Owner: Emerald Coal Resources LP
- Parent company: Foundation Coal
- Location: Pennsylvania, south of Waynesburg
- GPS coordinates: 40.661955,-81.255741
- Production: 5,674,111 short tons
- Type of coal:
- Mine type: Underground
- Equipment: Longwall, Continuous Miner
- Number of employees: 577
In December 2012 the citizens group Center for Coalfield Justice sued Emerald Mine operator Emerald Coal Resources LP for polluting key waterways — including at least one high-quality fishing stream — that feed the Monongahela River. The lawsuit contends Emerald Coal had violated pollution levels for iron, manganese, aluminum, and other pollutants more than 120 times in the past 12 months and more than 400 times in the past five years. The group based the claims on violations the company has been self-reporting to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection under Emerald's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit as part of the federal Clean Water Act.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Pennsylvania and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Foundation Coal Holdings, "2008 Annual Report", Foundation Coal, page 11.
- Joe Mandak, "Emerald Coal Sued In Pennsylvania For Allegedly Polluting Waterways," AP, Dec. 31, 2012.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration