Encounter for Culture and Education
Encounter for Culture and Education, Inc. (ECE) describes itself as "a tax exempt, non profit corporation". One of its main activities is as a publisher of conservative books by way of its Encounter Books. NB: this group has no website. It is simply a shell company to enable accounting and legal/tax benefits.
Previously a 501(c)(3), starting in 2002 the group was classified as a private operating foundation and files a Form 990-PF.
Its EIN is 39-1688129.
In 2002 its officers, trustees and directors were:
- Peter Collier, President
- Richard S. Gallagher, Chair/VP/Director (Foley & Lardner)
- Lynnette Zigman, Treasurer/Secretary (Foley & Lardner);
- David V. Uihlein, Jr., Director (Bradley Foundation )
- Peter Friedlander, Director
- Br. Bob Smith, Director
Media Transparency estimate that ECE has received 70 grants totalling $4.638 million between 1991 and 2002 from a handful of conservative foundations including the:
- John M. Olin Foundation
- Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation
- Shelby Cullom Davis Foundation
- Philip M. McKenna Foundation
Source plus other groups involved.
Articles and resources
- Daniel Bice, Bill Glauber, Ben Poston. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. November 28, 2011.