Energía Minera power station
The Energía Minera power station is a proposed 1050-megawatt (MW) coal-fired thermoelectric project, managed by Codelco, Chile's state-run copper mining company. The $1.7bn project would be located near Codelco's Ventanas copper smelter in Puchuncaví, V Region, Chile.
The map below shows Puchuncaví, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
A contract was initially awarded to local electricity company Colbún in 2009, who obtained the necessary environmental permits but did not exercise its option and returned the project to Codelco in March 2012, bringing development of the plant to a halt.. Local residents and Chilean environmental groups have continued to protest the project, which remained indefinitely stalled as of late 2013.
In February 2015, the environmental group Oceana urged Chile's national environmental authority SEA (Servicio de Evaluación Ambiental) to issue a statement declaring that Energía Minera's permit (Resolución de Calificación Ambiental) had expired, given the fact that more than five years had already passed since issuance of the original permit. In June 2015, Puchuncaví's mayor Hugo Rojas expressed similar concerns about the plant's status, in response to news that the SEA was still considering a January 2015 petition from Energía Minera requesting extension of the plant's environmental permit.
However, in an October 7, 2015 letter addressed to the Commission Environmental Assessment, Codelco said it decided "not to persevere" in the project and would "renounce all rights and obligations Exempt Resolution No. 267 of 2009 Regional Environmental Commission gives Minera SA Energy," effectively putting an end to the development of the project.
- Sponsor: Codelco
- Parent company:
- Location: Puchuncaví, V Region, Chile
- Coordinates: -32.733333, -71.416667 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled (called off in Dec 2015)
- Gross Capacity: 1,050 MW (Units 1-3: 350 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Se congela construcción del mayor proyecto termoeléctrico de Codelco,", Veo Verde, March 2012.
- "Codelco considers selling a 1050 MW project option," PEI, May 4, 2012.
- "Marcha en Puchuncaví: en pie de guerra contra Termoeléctricas Energía Minera," La Otra Voz, January 14, 2013.
- "INFORME DE FISCALIZACIÓN AMBIENTAL," Superintendencia del Medio Ambiente, Gobierno de Chile, November 18, 2013.
- "Oceana solicita caducidad de la RCA de proyectos termoeléctricos Los Robles y Energía Minera," Oceana press release, February 3, 2015.
- "Termoeléctrica: alcalde critica a Codelco por mantener licencia," Mercurio Valparaiso, June 30, 2015.
- "Codelco no construirá proyecto termoeléctrico Energía Minera en Puchuncaví," Codelco, Dec 29, 2015