Eskişehir Alpu power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Eskişehir Alpu power station is a proposed 1080-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Eskişehir province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of Alpu district, the location where the plant would be built in Eskişehir province.
Background on Plant
In May 2013, a study by Turkey's General Directorate of Mining Affairs (Maden İşletmeleri Genel Müdürlüğü, or MİGEM) concluded that the Alpu district of Eskişehir province holds over 900 million tons of coal reserves. MİGEM announced plans to find a developer for a 300 MW coal-fired power plant in Alpu district. It was planned for operation in 2019, with plans to expand up to 6000 MW.
Capacity and cost
It is reported that the installed capacity of the power plant will be 1,080 MW (3 x 360 MW) and that the total investment cost of the project is expected to be approximately US$1.8 billion. Future expansion up to 7GW is said to be possible, however the very wet local coal could result in extra operational and maintenance costs and pollution. The Chamber of Electrical Engineers states that, due to a 15 year government purchase guarantee, the total cost of electricity from the plant could amount to 5.8 million US dollars (21.8 million lira) and that that would be a bad deal compared to renewable energy.
Months of protests in 2017 and 2018 included statues in gas masks, rap music, and a convoy of hundreds of tractors. The mayor spoke out against the plant, and in January 2018 the MP for the main opposition party joined a human chain formed in protest.
The EIA was approved in March 2018.
- Sponsor: TBD
- Parent company:
- Location: Alpu district, Eskişehir province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 39.77, 30.97 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Detailed status: Privatization tenders due March 2018
- Gross capacity: 1080 MW (Units 1-3: 360 MW)
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Eskişehir Alpu lignite mine, Turkey
- CO2 Emissions per year: 8 million tons
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Alpu'da 1 Milyar Ton Kömür Rezervi Bulundu, Gazete A24, May 8, 2013.
- Eskişehir'e İkinci Termik Santral Yolda, 2 Eylül, June 12, 2013.
- Eskişehir Alpu, Kara Atlas, accessed Mar. 2014.
- 2015-2019 Strategic Plan, enerji.gov.tr, 2015
- "MADEN tüm maden haberleri... Yeni rezevler, Türkiye'yi kömürden vazgeçirmiyor," enerjiajansi.net, Dec 22, 2014.
- Elektrik Üretim AŞ`ye Ait Taşınmazların (Kömür Rezerv Alanı ile Bu Rezerve Dayalı Santralin ve Diğer Varlıkların Yapılacağı Alanların) Özelleştirme İhale İlanı,Privatization Administration, September 2017
- Eskişehir Alpu Kömür sahası ihalesine erteleme,Enerji Günlüğü, Jan 20 2018
- Haluk Direskeneli, Turkey: Eskişehir Alpu Coal Fields And 1080 New Thermal Power Plant – Analysis, Eurasia Review, October 2017
- Eskişehir Alpu Coal Fields and 1080 MWe New Thermal Power Plant Project, TESPAM, October 2017
- "Alım garantili SPE'nin faturası ağır" ," Gerçek Gündem, Feb 6, 2018
- Turkey’s coal dependency triggers creative protest in Eskişehir, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, January 2018
- Büyükerşen: Termik santral Eskişehir için bir cinayettir, evrensel, December 2017
- [hhttp://www.hurriyet.com.tr/eskisehirde-komurlu-termik-santrale-karsi-zincir-olusturuldu-40725523 Eskişehir’de kömürlü termik santrale karşı zincir oluşturuldu,] Hürriyet, January 2018
- ÇED süreci bitti bile: Eskişehir’de termik santrala rekor hızla onay, Diken, 9 March 2018
- Eskişehir Alpu Ovası’nda “çevre” cinayeti,BirGün, Dec 21 2017