Fitzroy Terminal Project
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Fitzroy Terminal Project was a proposed 22 million tonne-per-year coal export terminal in Queensland, Australia to be developed by a consortium including Mitchell Group Holdings. The project, which was to be located adjacent to Port Alma (50 kilometres south-east of Rockhampton and 40 km north-west of Gladstone), lapsed in May 2014 when the project developers failed to submit an environmental impact statement (EIS) within the required two-year time frame.
- Operator: Mitchell Group
- Annual Capacity (Tonnes): 22 million (proposed)
- Status: Cancelled
In late October 2011 the Queensland government's Coordinator-General, Keith Davies, announced that he had declared the project as "significant project". In the media statement Davies noted that the project was a "a $1.2 billion proposal to construct a coal export facility located adjacent to Port Alma with export capacity of 22 million tonne per annum" and that "if approved, the project would generate up to 350 construction jobs and up to 150 operational jobs." Deputy Premier, Treasurer and Minister for State Development Andrew Fraser stated that the terminal "would help address the increase in demand for essential coal port facilities by providing an alternative port for smaller tonnage mines."
In May 2012, the Queensland state government issued terms of reference for an environmental impact statement for the project. In May 2014, the project was allowed to lapse when developers neglected to submit a full EIS within the required two-year time frame. Environmentalists hailed the plant's lapsing as a victory for long-term conservation of the environmentally sensitive Keppel Bay, North Curtis Island and the Fitzroy Delta -- the largest intact estuary flowing into the Great Barrier Reef and an important habitat for the rare snub fin dolphin.
Company contact details
112 Bluestone Circuit
Seventeen Mile Rocks Qld 4073
P.O. Box 3199
Darra Qld 4076
Phone: +61 (0) 7 3722 7277
Fax: +61 (0) 7 3722 7256
Email: info AT mitchellgroup.net
Articles and resources
- http://www.dsdip.qld.gov.au/assessments-and-approvals/fitzroy-terminal-project.html "Fitzroy Terminal Project"], Queensland Government Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning, accessed January 2015.
- Andrew Fraser, "Port Alma’s Fitzroy Terminal enters stringent assessment process", Media Release, October 31, 2011.
- "Fitzroy Terminal Project: Terms of reference for an environmental impact statement", Queensland Government, May 2012.
- "Cap Coast conservationists happy as coal port project lapses", Queensland Times, May 8, 2014.
- "Lapse of Reef coal terminal creates opportunity to protect Fitzroy Delta", Australian Marine Conservation Society, May 8, 2014.