Fred L. Smith, Jr (Fred Smith) is President and Founder of the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a free market public policy group established in 1984.
According to his biographical note, prior to forming CEI Smith served "as Director of Government Relations for the Council for a Competitive Economy, as a senior economist for the Association of American Railroads, and for five years as a Senior Policy Analyst at the Environmental Protection Agency."
"Currently, he sits on the Institute Turgot in Belgium. Mr. Smith holds a B.S. degree in Theoretical Mathematics and Political Science from Tulane University where he earned the Arts and Sciences Medal (Tulane's highest academic award) and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa," his biographical note states.
Smith is a frequent commentator in the media including appearances on CNN's "Crossfire," PBS's "News Hour with Jim Lehrer" and "Now with Bill Moyers," ABC's "20/20" and "This Week," NPR's "Talk of the Nation" and "The Diane Rehm Show," and "The G. Gordon Liddy Show".
Smith's works have been published in leading newspapers and magazines such as the Wall Street Journal, National Review, Economic Affairs, and the Washington Times. His academic articles have appeared in journals such as Harvard Journal of Law and Economics, CATO Journal, and Economic Affairs, and he is a contributing editor to Liberty magazine.
- Environmental Politics: Public Costs, Private Rewards and the Field Guide for Effective Communication.
- Contributed chapters to:
- Global Warming and Other Eco-Myths,
- True State of the Planet,
- Corporate Aftershock: The Public Policy Lessons from the Collapse of Enron and Other Major Corporations,
- Solutions for an Environment in Peril,
- Market Liberalism: A Paradigm for the 21st Century, and
- Assessing the Reagan Years.
- Competitive Enterprise Institute, "CEI Expert Biography: Fred L. Smith, Jr.", accessed July 2004.
- Joel Achenbach, "The Tempest: As evidence mounts that humans are causing dangerous changes in Earth's climate, a handful of skeptics are providing some serious blowback", The Washington Post Magazine, May 28, 2006.
- Fred L. Smith, Jr. (of the Competitive Enterprise Institute), "The Irresponsibility of Corporate Social Responsibility," Acton Institute commentary, April 11, 2007.