Freedom Mine (ND)
The Freedom Mine is operated by the Coteau Properties Company (a subsidiary of The North American Coal Corporation, Dallas, TX), Beulah, North Dakota. The mine supplies lignite to the Great Plains Synfuels Plant, Antelope Valley Station, Leland Olds Station and Stanton Station.
Freedom mine is the largest lignite mine in the United States, operating two 120-cubic-yard draglines and a fleet of 200-ton overburden trucks.
- MSHA ID: 3200595
- Owner: Coteau Properties Company
- Parent company: North American Coal
- Location: Beulah, North Dakota
- GPS coordinates: 47.398117,-101.777687
- Production: 14,955,989 short tons
- Type of coal: Lignite
- Mine type: Surface
- Equipment: draglines
- Number of employees: 400+
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- North Dakota and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Lignite Energy Council, " The Coteau Properties Company's Freedom Mine", Lignite Energy Council website, accessed May 2009.