Fremantle Ports is a West Australian government owned business which operates two major port facilitiies -- the Inner Harbour at Fremantle which handles most containers and general cargo and the 'Outer Harbour', about 22km to the south at Kwinana, which handles bulk cargoes including coal. The terminal for the 'outer harbour' is known as the Kwinana Bulk Terminal.
Kwinana Bulk Terminal
Coal exports from Kwinana initially began as a one-off trial in January 2007. In September 2007 coal export became a part of regular port exports.
The Kwinana Bulk Terminal had a $44 million upgrade to facilitate exports of iron ore and black coal. The bulk of the cost of the upgrade, which was completed in late 2011, was funded by Mineral Resources Limited to cater for its planned 4.4 million tonnes of iron ore exports. The remainder of the costs was funded by Lanco Infratech's subsidiary Griffin Coal. The coal company has a four-year allocation for the export of 750,000 tonnes of coal. However, in 2011/12 the company exported only 488,000 tonnes. Just over half of the coal was exported to South Korea while 47.4% was exported to China.
A Fremantle Ports media release stated that the four-year agreement with Griffin was intended to cover "the transition period until planned new facilities for handling coal are developed at Bunbury or elsewhere."
PO Box 95
Fremantle WA 6959
1 Cliff Street
Fremantle WA 6160
Articles and resources
- Fremantle Ports, "Governance", Fremantle Ports website, accessed May 2012.
- Fremantle Ports, "How the port works", Fremantle Ports website, accessed May 2012.
- Fremantle Ports, "Kwinana Bulk Terminal exports one million tonnes of coal", Media Release, June 16, 2009.
- Fremantle Ports, "First shipment of Mineral Resources iron ore exported through Kwinana", Media Release, November 21, 2011.
- Fremantle Ports, "2012 Annual Report", Fremantle Ports, September 2012, page 37.
- Fremantle Ports, "2012 Annual Report", Fremantle Ports, September 2012, page 131.
- Fremantle Ports, "New export proposals for Kwinana Bulk Terminal", Media Release, May 18, 2011.