Gazaria power station (Orion)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
Gazaria power station (Orion) is a proposed 635 megawatt (MW) coal-fired in Munshiganj District, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh.
The map below shows the location of Gazaria Upazila, the location of the plant in Munshganj District of Dhaka Division.
In April 2016, a consortium on companies signed a power purchase agreement with Bangladesh Power Development Board to built a 635 MW plant in Gazaria, Munshiganj district. The project is a part of a plan to install two coal-fired power plants in Dhaka and Chittagong regions, approved by the Cabinet Committee on Government Purchase on September 29, 2013. The consortium comprises the Orion Group, Fujian Zhongde Energy, and UAE-based Firstgen Energy. Under the agreement, the Power Development Board will purchase electricity for 25 years at Tk5.86 per kWh. According to Orion Group Chairman Mohammad Obaidul Karim, a contract has been signed with General Electric for boiler, turbine, and generator, and an EPC contract has been signed with Guangdong Electric Power Design Institute. The project has also received terms of reference approval for its EIA from the Department of Environment. The plant will use ultra-supercritical combustion technology.
Power from the plant will be purchased by the Power Development Board at a levelised tariff of US$0.0837 or Tk 6.69 per kilowatt hour, though the tariff might decrease to between Tk 5.86 and Tk 6 "in the context of falling price of coal in the global market," according to an Orion Group official.
As of October 2016 Orion Power was seeking environmental clearance for the project.
As of January 2019 there have been no further developments, and plans appear shelved.
- Sponsor: Orion Power Unit-2 Dhaka Limited
- Parent company: Orion Group, Fujian Zhongde Energy Co Ltd, and Firstgen Energy FZE
- Location: Gazaria Upazila, Munshganj District, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 23.541667, 90.608333 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 635 MW
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: China or unspecified Export Credit Agency
Articles and resources
- Aminur Rahman Rasel, "Munshiganj to see 635MW coal power plant," DhakaTribune, April 22, 2016
- "Orion signs deal for 635MW coal-fired power plant in Munshiganj," Energy Central, April 24, 2016
- Aminur Rahman Rase, "Public meeting held for coal-based power plant in Munshiganj," Dhaka Tribune, October 15, 2016