George W. Bush's military service/External Links 1999-2003
The following are External Links 1999-2003 of articles and other information pertinent to George W. Bush's military service. Also see George W. Bush's military service/External Links 2004, George W. Bush's military service/Documents and George W. Bush's military service/Timeline.
- Bush: The Making of a Candidate, Washington Post, 1999-2000.
- George W. Bush Military Record compiled by Trudy Forte, monthlymessenger.com.
- AWOLBush.com web site.
- Military Career of Our Commander in Chief, hereinreality.com.
- George W. Bush Military Record, georgewalkerbush.net.
- Online Journal Articles on "Bush Military Info". Current.
- Still Unclaimed in 2004!: $2,000 REWARD!!! From Veterans for Real Truth For Proof That Lt. George W. Bush Reported for Air National Guard Duty in Texas between May 1972 and July 1973 and $2,000* REWARD!!! $1,000 from Democrats.com / $1,000 from Alabama Vietnam Veterans For Proof That Lt. George W. Bush Reported for Air National Guard Duty in Alabama in 1972.
- 9 April 1999: "Prodigal son" by Jake Tapper, Salon.
- 5 July 1999: "Bush defends military service record," BBC/UK.
- 11 July 1999: "Military service is fading as a campaign issue" by Tim Nickens, St. Petersburg Times'. (Link takes you to archives. Type in date to locate article.)
- 28 July 1999: "At Height of Vietnam, Bush Picks Guard" by George Lardner Jr. and Lois Romano, Washington Post.
- 28 July 1999: "In His Own Words: 'I, Like Others, Became Disillusioned'," Washington Post: "... I do remember I think it was the Cambodian bombing, where I began to become, it became apparent over time that decisions were made not in the best interest of our military. It became evident that this was a political war, not a military war. There was a certain predictability and so the military mission was not paramount. It was a political mission. And there was no clarity of purpose ... and it took awhile for that to sink in my way of thinking. ... I was guaranteed a pilot slot. I found out - as I'm sure you've researched all this out - they were looking for pilots. I think there were five or six pilot slots available. I was the third slot in the Texas Guard. Had that not worked out no telling where I would have been. I would have ended up in the military somewhere. ... I was just looking for options. I didn't have a strategy. I knew I was going in the military. I wasn't sure what branch I was going into. I took the test with an eye obviously on the Guard slot, but had that not worked out I wouldn't have gotten into pilot training. I remember going to Air Force recruiting station and getting the Air Force recruiting material to be a pilot. Then I went home and I learned there was a pilot slot available."
- 20 August 1999: "Austin, we have a problem. What does his clumsy, evasive handling of rumors of cocaine use do to George W. Bush's much-heralded 'electability'?" by Jake Tapper, Salon.
- 24 August 1999: "Louder than words. George W. Bush, who refuses to answer questions about his own drug use, slashed drug rehabilitation programs for inmates while ushering in tougher sentencing laws" by Robert Bryce, Salon.
- 25 August 1999: "Bush up to his arse in allegations! Sharp-toothed e-mail, killer bees and bags of worms. Will this hound hunt?" by Amy Reiter, Salon.
- 14 September 1999: "The real Bush drug scandal. Texas Gov. George W. Bush has presided over a crackdown on first-time drug offenders from poor neighborhoods like Houston's Third Ward Bottoms" by Debra Dickerson, Salon.
- 18 October 1999: "Book: Bush was arrested for cocaine in 1972. Texas author J.H. Hatfield claims the Republican front-runner did community service at a Houston center" by Salon staff.
- 30 January 2000: "Who Is George W. Bush?" by Toby Rogers and Nick Mamatas, Monitor.net.
- 23 May 2000: "One-year gap in Bush's National Guard duty. No record of airman at drills from 1972-73" by Walter V. Robinson, Boston Globe.
- 13 June 2000: "MISSING IN ACTION: George W. Bush's Fishy Service Record. Son of Privilege" by Marty Heldt, Tom Paine.
- 28 July 2000: "Republican ticket lets a military connection slip" by Walter V. Robinson, Boston Globe.
- 27 September 2000: "Finally, the Truth About Bush's Military Service Record. George W.'s Missing Year" by Marty Heldt, Tom Paine.
- 4 October 2000: "The Smoking Jet" by Robert A. Rogers, Democrats.com.
- 10 October 2000: George Magazine article.
- 15 October 2000: "George Magazine is Wrong! We Stand By 'The Smoking Jet'" by Bob Fertik, Democrats.com.
- 15 October 2000: "The Real Military Record of George W. Bush: Not Heroic, but Not AWOL, Either" by Peter Keating and Karthik Thyagarajan, George Magazine.
- 21 October 2000: "MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS: Bush's Military Record Under Scrutiny. He Got Special Treatment from the Guard in the 1960s -- And Possibly More Recently" by David Case, Tom Paine.
- 30 October 2000: "The George W. Bush Military Record" by Jesse Brown, Former Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Democrats.com.
- 30 October 2000: "Bush's Top 10 Lies, Exaggerations And 'Obsfucations' About His Military Service" by Nancy Skinner, co-host of "Ski & Skinner" on WLS-AM Chicago, at Democrats.com.
- 31 October 2000: "Questions remain on Bush's service as Guard pilot" by Walter V. Robinson, Boston Globe.
- 1 November 2000: "Bob Kerrey blasts Bush on service. Says candidate 'AWOL' in '70s" by Walter V. Robinson, Boston Globe.
- 2 November 2000: "Press Conference by Senators and Veterans Bob Kerrey, Daniel Inouye and Max Cleland" at Democrats.com.
- 3 November 2000: "Bush's Guard Attendance Is Questioned and Defended" by Jo Thomas, New York Times.
- 4 November 2000: "Bush Aides Possibly Altered National Guard Records To Conceal Grounding and Missed Duty" by Bob Fertik, Democrats.com
- - - - -
- 28 May 2002: "Were George W. Bush's National Guard Records Scrubbed?" by Bill Burkett, BuzzFlash News Analysis.
- 13 November 2002: "Bush Opposed to Military Service," 'San Diego Independent Media.'
- 5 May 2003: "It Is Still A Secret To Most Americans" by James Glaser, jamesglaser.org.
- 30 September 2003: "Another BuzzFlash posting, which perhaps you missed was the Veterans for Peace posting on its web site of a [letter to KB Toys]' President & CEO Michael L. Glazer "praising" him and his company for "retailing Blue Box Toys 12" plastic Action Figure "Elite Force Aviator: George W. Bush U.S. President & Naval Aviator"."
- 25 October 2003: "George Bush, The Deserter," BuzzFlash Reader Commentary.