Goseong Green power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of South Korea and coal|
Goseong Green power station (고성 하이 화력발전소) is a proposed 2,080-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in South Gyeongsang Province, South Korea.
The map below shows the site of the proposed plant in Goseong County.
Background on Plant
The power station would consist of two 1,040 MW units. Construction is planned to begin in 2016 and be completed in April 2021.
Possible cancellation or replacement with gas
South Korea's new president, elected in May 2017, said he will consider suspending coal-fired power plants less than 10 percent into construction.
In April 2017, just before the presidential election, the plant's completion rate was reported at 8%. It was then reported as 14.5% on May 15, 15% on May 16, and 21% on May 23, raising questions about the legitimacy of the progress, since the plant is still planned for operation in April 2021. Planet satellite photos suggest the only progress from February 2016 to April 2018 was land clearing.
In September 2017 the government released a statement saying it will push to transform coal-fired power plants less than 10% constructed into LNG-fired power turbines.
The country's 8th Basic Plan for Long-Term Electricity Supply and Demand (2017-2031), finalized in December 2017, did not list the plant for conversion to gas, suggesting it may remain coal-fired.
In March 2018 it was reported there were ongoing labor disputes at the plant site with project contractor SK Engineering & Construction.
Since its inception the power station has been opposed by local residents over pollution concerns.
- Sponsor: Goseong Green Power (Ancient Green Power)
- Parent company: Korea South-East Power, SK Gas, KDB Infrastructure
- Location: Hai-myeon, Goseong County, South Gyeongsang Province
- Coordinates: 34.918658, 128.112096 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Capacity: 2,080 MW (Units 1&2: 1,040 MW)
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service: 2021
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "고성군·고성그린파워, 고성하이화력발전소 건설사업 기본협약," Electric Power Journal, Apr 21, 2015
- "고성 하이화력발전소 실시계획 승인," GNN News, Oct 15, 2015
- "SK건설, 고성하이화력발전소 착공," Chosun, Feb 24, 2017
- "건설中 원전·석탄발전, 차기 정권에서 운명은?," EBN, May 6, 2017
- "S. Korea’s coal-fired power plant builders at risk of losing millions," Pulse, 2017.05.17
- "미세먼지 OUT, 신규 화력발전소 OUT," 국민소통 광장, Sep 24, 2017
- "S Korea to tackle pollution by cutting coal, diesel use, switching to LNG," Platts, 26 Sep 2017
- "S. Korea to shift toward renewable energy, natural gas," Yonhap News Agency, 2017/12/14
- "Ministry announces 8th Basic Plan for Electricity Supply and Demand," Korea Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Energy, 2017-12-14
- "건설산업노조 플랜트분과 고성하이발전소 노조탄압 폭로 기자회견 열어," Inochong, Mar 6, 2018
- "사천주민 신삼천포화력발전소 건설사업 피해대책 촉구," Sichuan AP, 2014/01/07
- "Doosan Clinches Large-Scale Project to Supply Equipment for Goseong Hai Thermal Plant," Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction press release, 2015.12.07