Harriet E. Miers, White House Counsel, was nominated by President George W. Bush October 3, 2005, as Associate Justice to the Supreme Court to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
- Nancy Gibbs, "The Two Knocks on Miers. And why--surprise!--they're both coming from the right. And why, even so, they might not derail her," Time, October 9, 2005.
- Transcript: Patrick Buchanan and Dr. Richard Land, Meet the Press, October 9, 2005.
- "Specter to Ask Whether Rove Gave Private Assurances on Miers," Bloomberg News, October 9, 2005.
- Christopher Lee, "Specter to Press Miers in Hearings. Judiciary Panel Leader Says Nominee Has Not Yet Been Heard," Washington Post, October 10, 2005.
- David D. Kirkpatrick, "Endorsement of Nominee Draws Committee's Interest," New York Times, October 10, 2005.
- Brian MacQuarrie, "Dobson spiritual empire wields political clout," Boston Globe, October 10, 2005.