headspace, Australia's National Youth Mental Health Foundation, provides a national organised focus on youth mental health and related drug and alcohol problems. The headspace mission is "to improve access for young people aged 12-25 years to appropriate services and ensure better coordination between services."
Established in 2006, funding for headspace comes from the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing (the federal budget committed $69 million to June 2009) and it is controlled by a consortium managed by ORYGEN Research Centre at the University of Melbourne and includes the Australian General Practice Network, the Australian Psychological Society and the Brain & Mind Research Institute at the University of Sydney.
headspace operates as a youth mental health promotions organisation for young people and the community at large. Its activities include research, direction to mental health services, drug and alcohol strategies for young people and the management of some 30 headspace youth centres in Australia.
Foundation Executive Committee
- Chris Tanti - headspace Chief Executive Officer
- Patrick McGorry - Executive Director of ORYGEN Research Centre
- Ian Hickie - Executive Director of Brain & Mind Research Institute
- Kate Carnell - CEO of Australian Division of General Practice
- Lyn Littlefield - Executive Director of Australian Psychological Society
- John Moran - General Manager of ORYGEN Research Centre
(Committee accessed July 2009)
- Ryan Stokes - Chair
- Trisha Broadbridge
- Dean Brown
- Grant Hackett
- Alex Hartman
- Divonne Holmes a Court
- John McGrath
- Peter Mason
- Helen Milroy
- Paul Ramsay
- Father Chris Riley
- Professor Cliff Walsh
- Dr Rob Walters
(Advisory Baord accessed July 2009)
headspace National Office,
Level 1, 369 Royal Pde,
Parkville, Victoria 3052,
Phone:03 8346 8213
Fax: 03 9349 5804
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Mental health and well being - headspace: National Youth Mental Health Foundation", Australian Government - Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing website, accessed July 2009.
- "headspace Foundation Executive Committee", headspace website accessed July 2009.
- "headspace Advisory Board Members", headspace website accessed July 2009.