Vizag Thermal Power Plant
Vizag Thermal Power Plant is a 1,040 MW coal-fired power station in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is also known as the Hinduja Power Plant.
The photo below shows the power station in Palavalasa village, Visakhapatnam district.
The proposed power station would comprise two units, each of 520 MW. The plant has been the locus of controversy including large protests in 2011. In November 2011, the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) decided to defer the coastal regulation zone approvals to the project following alleged violations by the company.
Nearly two decades after its proposal, the power station is expected to be commissioned by the end of 2014.
In October 2014 it was reported that the first unit would be commissioned in December 2014, and the second in January-February 2015.
In December 2011, members of 32 villages affected by the Hinduja Power Plant blockaded the main entrance to the plant. The protesters demanded employment for local workers as well as compensation for the 623 acres acquired for the project. After assurances by governmental and company officials that a meeting would be convened in 15 days to resolved the issues, the protest dispersed. 
Sponsor: Hinduja National Power Corporation (HNPC)
Location: Palavalasa village, Visakhapatnam district, Andhra Pradesh
Coordinates: 17.5636425, 83.1388772 (exact)
- Unit 1: Operating (2014)
- Unit 2: Operating (2015)
- Unit 1: 520 MW
- Unit 2: 520 MW
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing: Achieved on 29th June ’10 with a consortium of 14 Banks led by SBI (75:25 :: Debt: Equity)
Permits and applications: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Mar 3, 2009
Articles and resources
- "MoEF defers nod to Hinduja coal power project in AP," The Economic Times, November 26, 2011
- "Telangana power discoms asked to sign PPAs with Hinduja National Power," The Hindu, July 11, 2014
- "First unit of Hinduja Power’s Vizag plant to go on stream by December," Hindu Business Line, Oct 10, 2014
- "Protest at Hinduja power plant," Deccan Chronicle, December 13, 2011
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, June 2014