Hubco Thar Block II minemouth power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Pakistan and coal.|
Hubco Thar Block II minemouth power station is a proposed coal plant in Pakistan.
It is also known as unit 4 of the Thar Engro power station.
The map below shows the location of Thar Block-II, the mining area where the plant will be built, in Sindh province.
Background: Phase I (Thar Engro)
The National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) accepted a generation license application from Thar Energy Limited (TEL) for a 330 MW mine-mount plant located in Thar Block II. The project is estimated at US$497.7 million. It will be financed mainly by debt raised from Chinese financial institutions, with the remainder raised from Pakistani banks. The project was permitted in May 2016. The Private Power and Infrastructure Board issued a letter of support for the project in December 2016.
In March 2017, Fauji Fertilizer Company, a subsidiary of the Fauji Foundation, took a 30% share in the project, and China Machinery Engineering Corporation, the project's engineering, procurement, and constructor (EPC) contractor, took another 10%. The construction schedule is 40 months, with completion thus planned for 2020. Initial groundwork on the project had already begun.
In March 2018, Hubco, FFC, and CMEC signed the shareholders agreement. Financial close of the project is expected in June 2018, and commercial production in 2021.
- Sponsor (Phase I): Thar Energy Limited (TEL)
- Parent company (Phase I): Hub Power Company (Hubco) (60%), Fauji Foundation (30%), and China Machinery Engineering Corporation (10%)
- Location: Thar Block-II, southeast of Singhara in Thatta district, Sindh province
- Coordinates: 24.776, 70.4 (approximate)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 330 MW
- Projected in service: 2021
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source: Thar Block II
- Source of financing: China Development Bank (CDB), Habib Bank
Articles and resources
- "Nepra admits CPEC power generation plants application," Daily Times, October 6, 2016
- "Two local coal-based power projects of 660 MW approved," Pakistan Today, May 3, 2016
- PPIB supports coal-based power plant under CPEC, Daily Times, 14 Dec. 2016.
- Hubco to divest 40pc shares in Thar Energy, Dawn, 16 Mar. 2017.
- Fauji Fertilizer and Hubco Join Hands for a 330MW Coal Power Plant in Thar, Pro Pakistani, 15 Mar. 2017.
- "FFC, HUBCO sign agreement to set up 330 MW coal power plant," IEA, Mar 19, 2018
- "Hubco Signs Agreement for 330MW Coal Power Plant in Thar," propakistani, Nov 16, 2017