Institute of Ideas
|This article is part of or related|
to the LM group series:
|This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
The Institute of Ideas (IoI) is a successor project to Living Marxism and an intellectual home of the LM group. A flagwaver for the political network's libertarian agenda, the organisation has been described by critics as "media-friendly Tory extremists." 
According to its website, the IoI's mission is to "expand the boundaries of public debate by organising conferences, discussions and salons, and publishing written conversations and exchanges." IoI is active on a wide range of issues, commonly advancing a position of opposition to restrictions on business and technology, especially biotechnology.
The Institute is believed by some observers to be a key component of the LM group's highly successful campaign of entryism into British media and academic circles. The Institute has organised many events in conjunction with well respected British establishment institutions, including the British Library, British Museum, the RCA, and the National Portrait Gallery.
- Claire Fox, Director
- Tony Gilland, Science and Society Director
- Tiffany Jenkins, Arts and Society Director
- Dolan Cummings, Research and Editorial Director
- Ellie Lee, Series Editor - Debating Matters
- Geoff Kidder, Membership Secretary
Academy of Ideas Ltd
49-51 Farringdon Road,
London, EC1M 3JP.
Phone 44 (0)20 7269 9220
Fax (0)20 7269 9235
E-mail: academy AT InstituteOfIdeas.com
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- George Monbiot, "The Revolution Has Been Televised", The Guardian, December 18, 1997.
- George Monbiot, "Far Left of Far Right?", Prospect Magazine, November 1998.
- Matthew Price, "Raving Marxism", Lingua Franca, March 1999.
- Andy Beckett, "Licence to rile", The Guardian(UK), May 15, 1999.
- David Pallister, John Vidal and Kevin Maguire Life after Living Marxism: Fighting for freedom - to offend, outrage and question everything, The Guardian (UK), July 8, 2000.
- David Pallister, John Vidal and Kevin Maguire, "Life after Living Marxism: Banning the bans", The Guardian, July 8, 2000.
- Nick Cohen, "The The rebels who changed their tune to be pundits", New Statesman, Vol. 15, Issue 719, August 12, 2002, pages 14-15. (pay site)
- Andrew Billen, "A prickly opinion on just about everything" (profile of Claire Fox), The Times, December 17, 2002.
- Andy Rowell and Bob Burton, “Rising Rhetoric on Genetically Modified Crops, PR Watch, Volume 10 No 1, First quarter 2003.
- Institute of Ideas profile, GM Watch, accessed December 2003.
- UK Department of Trade and Industry description of IoI
- George Monbiot, "Invasion of the Entryists", The Guardian, December 9, 2003.
- Chris Bunting, "What's a nice Trot doing in a place like this", Times Higher Education Supplement, 28 January 2005. (log-in required).
- Mike Small, "The Faction That Fools the World", Variant, Issue 24 , Winter 2005.
- Andy Rowell, "LobbyWatch: SMC complaint", April 2007. (This is an edited version of a submission made by Andy Rowell to the board of the Science Media Centre).
- Jenny Turner, Who Are They?, London Review of Books, Vol. 32 No. 13 -- 8 July 2010.