International Paper (IP) is a diversified, global company with manufacturing operations in the western hemisphere, Europe, Asia and Africa. Its operations include carbon sequestration and coal production. It is also the largest forest products company in the world, and owns half a million acres of land in the U.S. and owns or has harvesting rights to almost a million acres in Brazil and Russia.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
IP was a sponsor of the Louisiana Welcome Reception at the 2011 ALEC Annual Meeting.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Existing Coal Plants
|Plant Name||State||Year(s) Built||Capacity|
|International Paper Savannah Mill||GA||1981, 1998||154 MW|
|International Paper Augusta Power Plant||GA||1960, 1965||84.7 MW|
|International Paper Roanoke Rapids Power Plant||GA||1966||22.5 MW|
IP retains considerable interest in coal and lignite deposits throughout the Gulf Coast coal basin. According to IP, ±330,000 gross mineral acres and ±1 billion net tons producable lignite have been estimated to be held within its deposits throughout the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, and Washington.
IP owns carbon dioxide (CO2) geo-sequestration rights on roughly 3mm acres throughout the south-central and southeastern U.S. According to the IP website, "IP Mineral Resources has identified some 4.7 million (gross) company controlled acres within the Gulf Coast Coal basin alone that, based on sub-surface electric logs, appear to offer good geologic potential for both CO2 Sequestration and/or CBM production, or both. Thus far IP Mineral Resources has leased some 200,000 of these acres that are currently being explored for commercial CBM production." IP "is interested in industry or government research and development that could lead to use of these extensive holdings as a proving ground for further CO2 sequestration opportunities."
The International Paper political action committee gave $313,999 to federal candidates in the 2006 election cycle - 14% to Democrats, 86% to Republicans.
The company spent $2,620,000 for lobbying in 2006. $200,000 went to lobbying firm Capitol Tax Partners with the remainder being spent using in-house lobbyists.
International Paper is a member of Mail Moves America, a pro-junk mail front group set up by the Direct Marketing Association to oppose legislated "Do Not Mail" lists that would give consumers the option of declining to receive junk mail. International Paper also set up its own pro-junk mail activism web site, IP Moves the Mail, which facilitates pro-junk mail activism through contact with legislators.
Accessed May 2010: 
- John V. Faraci - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, International Paper
- David J. Bronczek - President and Chief Executive Officer, FedEx Express
- Lynn Laverty Elsenhans - Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President, Sunoco, Inc.
- Samir G. Gibara - Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- Stacey J. Mobley - Senior Counsel, Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- John L. Townsend III - Former Managing Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- John F. Turner - Former Assistant Secretary of State
- William G. Walter - Chairman, FMC Corporation
- Alberto Weisser - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Bunge Limited
- J. Steven Whisler - Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Phelps Dodge Corporation
- John V. Faraci, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- Newland A. Lesko, Executive Vice President
- Marianne M. Parrs, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Selected board members:
- David J. Bronczek, President and Chief Executive Officer, FedEx Express
- Samir G. Gibara, Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- John F. Turner, Former Assistant Secretary of State
6400 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38197
Resources and articles
- Profile, Hoovers, accessed July 2007.
- [American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Receptions, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 11, 2011]
- "Coal / Lignite" International Paper Website, September 2009
- "CO2 Geo Sequestration" International Paper Website, September 2009
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed July 2007.
- International Paper lobbying expenses, Open Secrets.
- Directors, , accessed May 9, 2010.
- Management, International Paper, accessed July 2007.
- Board of Directors, International Paper, accessed July 2007.
- "International Paper", Wikepedia.