|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Italian-Thai Development Public Company is a Thai-headquartered civil and infrastructure construction company. It is listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. The company describes its activities as including the construction of airports, building, dams and tunnels, mining projects, pipelines, transport infrastructure and industrial plants and power stations.
Dawei Deep Seaport, Power station, industrial zone and road connections
In mid-May 2008 a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the government of Thailand and the the Burmese miltary regime for the development of the "Dawei Deep Seaport and Road link to Bangkok". (See Dawei Deep Sea Port and Special Economic Zone for full details).
In November 2010 Italian-Thai Development announced that on November 2 it had "signed the Framework Agreement with the Myanmar Port Authority, Ministry of Transport of the Union of Myanmar to develop the Dawei Deep Sea Port, Industrial Estate and Road Link to Thailand." In a one-page summary translation of the agreement Italian-Thai Development state that: 
- "The Company is granted the Build Operate and Transfer (BOT) concession to develop the following projects in Dawei, the Union of Myanmar:
- 1) A deep sea port
- 2) An industrial estate and heavy industries such as a steel mill, fertilizer plant, power plant and other utility services
- 3) A cross-border road, rail and pipeline link from the Designated Area in Dawei District to Thailand at Pu Nam Ron, Kanchanaburi Province.
- 4) Township for residential and commercial development and a tourism, resort and recreation complex.
- "The Company, holding the concession, will invite suitable potential partners to invest in each activity accordingly."
The company staes that the agreement is for 60 years "plus an extension period as agreed upon" with phases of the project to be subject to a "on each detailed project development plan."
The company states that "to implement the Project successfully without delay, ITD will firstly construct a cross-border road from Dawei District, the Union of Myanmar, to Thailand at Pu Nam Ron, Kanchanaburi Province, and will invite suitable partners for the development of the deep sea port. The cross-border road link development and deep sea port will be in phases, with the full phase investment cost of approximately USD 2,000 Million."
"This Project will transform into a logistic and trading hub for the region. It will link the logistic routes and international trading between the countries in Southeast Asia and South China Sea, via the Andaman Sea, to the Indian Ocean. This new gateway will be able to service sea transport of goods to and from countries in the Middle East, Europe and Africa; thus saving tremendous transportation cost and time. This Project will undoubtedly increase trade, investment and economic growth of Thailand, the Union of Myanmar and the entire region as a whole."
On January 9, 2012, the No. 2 Electrical Power Ministry Minister Khin Maung Soe said plans for the 4,000+ MW Dawei power station would be cancelled, but that they were still considering a 400-MW coal plant to power preliminary projects to be built in the Dawei special economic zone.
Past power station developments
On its website the company lists earlier gas and coal-fired power station construction projects it has worked on as including the:
- Nong-Chok and Sai Noi Gas Turbine Plants (July 1994 - August 1995)
- Rayong Combined Cycle Plant (July 1991 - December 1994)
- Mae Moh Power Plant, Units 8 - 13 (1986 - 1992)
- Brunei Cogeneration Plant (November 1984 - December 1986)
- Khanom Power Plant I (1979 - 1981)
- Bangkok South Thermal Power Plant (1970 - 1974)
2034/132-161 Italthai Tower New Petchburi Road, Bangkapi,
Huay Kwang, Bangkok 10310, Thailand.
Phone: +66 (0)2716-1600
Facimile: +66 (0)2716-1488
Articles and resources
- Italian-Thai Development, "Corporate objective: Activities", Italian-Thai Development website, accessed May 2011.
- Ministry of Transport, Thailand, "Progress in Transport Infrastructure Development", 12-14 August, 2008, page 13.(Pdf)
- Italian-Thai Development Public Company, "Translation", Italian-Thai Development Public Company website, November 4, 2011.
- Min Thet, "4,000-MW power plant project cancelled in Dawei" Mizzima, January 9, 2012.
- Italian-Thai Development, "Industrial and power plants", Italian-Thai Development website, accessed May 2011.