Jamalco power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Latin America and coal|
Jamalco power station was a proposed 100-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Clarendon, Jamaica. It is now being built as a natural gas-fired plant.
The map below shows Halse Hall, the approximate location the plant would be built.
Jamalco alumina refinery in Jamaica is 55% owned by London-based Noble Group, which acquired it from US-based Alcoa World Alumina LLC in 2014. The remaining 45% is owned by the state through Clarendon Alumina Partners. Noble said it plans to construct, by 2017, a 100MW power plant for the refinery under a BOOT (build, own, operate, transfer) arrangement. The plant may be coal- or gas-fired.
In 2015, Jamalco said it planned to spend US$500 million on a coal plant to be completed by 2018 fourth-quarter.
- Sponsor: Jamalco
- Parent company: Noble Group (55%), Clarendon Alumina Partners (45%)
- Location: Halse Hall, Clarendon, Jamaica
- Coordinates: 17.9311, -77.2478 (approximate)
- Status: Being built as a natural gas plant
- Gross Capacity: 100MW
- Projected in service: 2018
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "New Direction At Jamalco - Jamaica Shelves Plan To Sell CAP," The Gleaner, Oct 17, 2014
- "Jamalco to spend US$500m on coal-fired plant," Jamaica Observer, June 24, 2015
- "JET welcomes news that Jamalco won't have coal-fired plant," RJR News, June 3, 2016
- "Jamalco shifts to natural gas," Jamaica Information Service, June 2, 2016