Jaypee Nigrie Super Thermal Power Project
Jaypee Nigrie Super Thermal Power Project is a 1,320 megawatt (MW) power station in Madhya Pradesh.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station near Nigrie (Nigri) village, Deosar tehsil, Singrauli district, Madhya Pradesh.
The project is proposed by Jaiprakash Power Ventures (JP Power Ventures), a power generation subsidiary of the privately owned Jaypee Group. The Jaypee Group is a major Indian infrastructure company with interests in civil engineering and construction, cement, power, real estate, expressways, hospitality, golf courses and education.
The project received a letter of environmental clearance from the Ministry of Environment & Forests on February 25, 2010. The letter is available here.
According to the Central Electricity Authority (September 2012), the project is under construction with Unit 1 projected for completion in June 2013 and Unit 2 in December 2013.
According to the website of JP Power Ventures, the Nigrie Thermal Project is expected to utilize coal from two captive coal blocks, the Amelia (North) and Dongri Tal II coal block, with total coal reserves of 250 MT of coal. JAL is expected to develop and mine the coal in a joint venture with MPSMCL. The joint venture has been allotted these two coal blocks solely for the purpose of supplying fuel to the Nigrie Thermal Project.
- Unit 1: Operating (2014)
- Unit 2: Operating (2015)
Capacity: 1,320 MW (2 x 660 MW)
Coal Source: Amelia (North) and Dongri Tal II coal block
Estimated annual CO2: 7,806,085 tons
Source of financing: JBIC signed two loan agreements with ICICI Bank Limited (ICICI)
Permits and applications: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Feb 25, 2010
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- Jaiprakash Power Ventures, "Home", Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed November 2011.
- Nisha Poddar, "SW Energy eyes JP Power's Bina, Nigrie power plants," The Economic Times, Aug 18, 2014.
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country" Government of India Ministry of Power, September 2012.
- "Jaiprakash Power Ventures' Jaypee Nigrie STPP becomes fully operational," Business Standard, February 21, 2015
- "Power generation," Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed September 2014.
- "Signing Loan Agreements with ICICI," Japan Bank for International Cooperation, Year 2010 activities, accessed March 2015