Jerada power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Morocco and coal|
Jerada power station is a 515-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Jerada Province, Morocco.
The map below shows the location of the plant, near Jerada, Jerada Province, Oriental Region.
The Jerada power station consists of three 55 MW subcritical units. The first two units were commissioned in 1971, and the last in 1972. Coal is supplied by the adjacent Jerada Coal Mine.
In July 2013 the Chinese firm Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation (Sepco III) signed a contract with the Morocco government to build a new 318 MW unit at the Jerada power station.
In September 2014 Morocco's National Office of Electricity (ONEE) and the Export & Import (Exim) Bank of the People’s Republic of China signed a loan agreement of US$300 million to finance construction of the plant, which is planned to start operating in the 4th quarter of 2017.
In May 2016 the leaders of China and Morocco agreed for ONEE and China's SEPCO III "to conduct studies on extending and maintaining Morocco's Jerada power plant." It was one of 15 public-private partnership agreements made between the nation's leaders.
In July 2017 ONEE and SEPCOIII signed a long-term O&M contract for the plant, which was reported to be 350 MW.
The new unit was commissioned in 2017.
Project Details of Expansion
- Sponsor: Office National de l'Electricité et de l'Eau Potable, Sepco III
- Parent company: ONEE
- Location: Jerada, Morocco
- Coordinates: 34.3096, -2.1908 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 350 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Start date: 2017
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Jerada Coal Mine, Morocco
- Source of financing: Export & Import (Exim) Bank of the People’s Republic of China
Articles and resources
- "Jerada Coal Power Plant Morocco" Global Energy Observatory, accessed February 28, 2014.
- "Chinese firm Sepco III to build coal power plant in Morocco" The Africa Report, July 26, 2013.
- "Morocco's ONEE, China Exim Bank sign USD 299.88 million loan agreement to finance new coal power plant," MAP, September 24, 2014
- "Morocco, China Strengthen Business Ties During King Mohammed VI's Historic Visit to Beijing," MarketWired, May 13, 2016
- "Contract Signed! Long-term O&M Contract of Morocco Jerada 1×350MW Supercritical Thermal Power Station," SEPCOIII, 7/18/2017
- "POWERCHINA and Morocco team up for first time with coal-fired plant," PowerChina, Sep 19, 2017