Joe Dan Worley
HM3 Joseph "Doc" Worley, also known as Joe Dan Worley, is a co-founder of Vets for Freedom (VFF). Worley, a U.S. Navy Corpsman assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines in Iraq, was "wounded on September 17, 2004, while rushing to the aid of a wounded Marine." 
"'I was under the impression I was gonna die,' says Worley. 'I went through the whole bargaining and through the anger and depression, and went straight into acceptance. The left leg was a fair trade, you know. Getting out of Iraq, that left leg was a fair trade, I'm happy. I've got no complaints.'" --NBC "Nightly News", December 1, 2004.
According to his Vets for Freedom profile, "Hospitalman Third Class (HN3) Joe Dan Worley is a US Navy Corpsman. He was an infantry platoon medic in Second Battalion, First Marines in Fallujah in 2004. He holds a Bronze Star for valor and a Purple Heart. He is stationed at Walter Reed Army Hospital where he is rehabilitating from wounds sustained in a September, 2004 ambush. He lives with his wife and daughter. The Worley family is from Paulding County, Georgia."
- Photo No. 1 and Photo No. 2, Navy.mil: Vail, Colorado, March 4, 2006: "U.S. Navy Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Joseph Worley, who lost most of his left leg in Fallujah, Iraq, is ready to hit the slopes in Vail, Col. The veterans gathered for Vail's Adaptive Ski Program that provided ski and snowboard classes for twenty-four service members, who lost limbs in Iraq and Afghanistan."
- Janie Blankenship,"Wounded Troops Have Promising Future," Veterans of Foreign Wars, undated.
- David Martin, "Wounded In Fallujah," CBS News, November 10, 2004.
- Brian Williams, "Injured Iraq war vets don't look for pity. At Walter Reed, profiles of courage and determination," NBC News (MSNBC), December 1, 2004.
- "Young Iraq war veterans dealing with injuries with grace and courage," Transcript of NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, December 1, 2004, posted on War Amputees/iamputees.blogspot.com, December 6, 2004.
- Aaron Brown, Transcript: CNN Newsnight, CNN, December 14, 2004. Video clip.
- Transcript: CNN Live Saturday, CNN, December 18, 2004. Video clip.
- Transcript: CNN Sunday Morning, CNN, December 19, 2004. Video clip.
- Transcript: CNN Live at Daybreak, CNN, December 20, 2004. Video clip.
- Paula Zahn, Transcript: Paula Zahn Now, CNN, January 26, 2005. Worley was corpsman to Wade Zirkle, now VFF executive director.
- Lisa S. Frederick, "USO-Metro honors its supporters,service members with awards dinner," USO (DCMilitary.com), December 8, 2005. Photograph: "Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class (FMF) Joseph Worley is awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his heroic efforts in Iraq. Worley has been a patient at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, and the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda for treatment of wounds received during Operation Iraqi Freedom."
- Donna Miles, "Rumsfeld Visit Surprises Wounded Troops American Forces Press Service (AmericaSupportsYou.mil), March 5, 2006; DefenseLink.mil.