Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Joseph ("Joe") Knilans is a Republican Representative in the state of Wisconsin representing Wisconsin's 44th Assembly district. He was elected to the Assembly in 2010.
Knilans was employed by General Motors for 13 ½ years before they closed their Janesville plant. While attending University of Wisconsin - Whitewater he interned with Congressman Paul Ryan in Janesville.
Knilans lost his bid for reelection on November 6, 2012 to Democrat Debra Kolste.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Knilans sits on the American Legislative Exchange Council's (ALEC) Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force.In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Rep. Knilans co-authored or co-sponsored 9 bills that reflect ALEC models, according to an analysis by the Center for Media and Democracy.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
ALEC Bills Supported
2011 Regular Session (bill sponsored or co-sponsored):
- Sponsored AB 110 (Special Needs Scholarship) - compare to ALEC model legislation, the ALEC Special Needs Scholarship Program Act (pdf)
- Sponsored AB 7 (Voter ID) - compare to ALEC model legislation Voter ID Act(pdf)
- Sponsored AB 94 (School Choice) - Compare to ALEC model legislation The Parental Choice Scholarship Accountability Act
- Co-sponsored AJR 31 - Commonly known as the "Transportation Tax and Fee Restriction Amendment" - compare with the aims of ALEC's Resolution in Opposition to the Use of Transportation Taxes Except for Investment in the Nation's Transportation Infrastructure (pdf)
- Co-sponsored SJR 23 - (Transportation Tax and Fee Restriction Amendment) - Compare to AJR 31 (above), and compare to ALEC's "Constitutional Amendment Restricting the Use of Vehicle Fees and Taxes for Highway Purposes" (pdf)
2011 Regular Session - bills voted for:
- AB 40 (2011-2013 Biennial Budget) - comprises ALEC's Title Pledge Act (pdf), ALEC's Public Employees Portable Retirement (PRO) Act (pdf), ALEC's Alternative Methods of Court Appearances Act (pdf) and ALEC's Anti-Crime (Secured Release) Act(pdf)
- AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- AB 94 (School Choice) Milwaukee Parental Choice Program - Compare to ALEC's Parental Choice Scholarship Accountability Act
January 2011 Special Session:
- AB 11 (Budget Repair Bill) - compare to ALEC's Public Employee Freedom Act (pdf) and ALEC's model Public Employer Payroll Deduction Policy Act(pdf)
January 2011 Special Session
- AB 5 (Supermajority) - requires a supermajority to pass tax increases. Compares to ALEC's model Super-Majority Act(pdf)
Room 7 West
P.O. Box 8953
Madison, WI 53708
1516 Winchester Place
Janesville, WI 53548
Telephone: (608) 266-7503 Or (888) 947-0044
Fax: (608) 282-3644
- Wisconsin State Legislator Representative Joseph Knilans, 44th Assembly District Biography/state legislative website, accessed July 31, 2011
- Professional Firefighters of Wisconsin Republican Assembly Candidate Profiles (pdf) Manual/biographical compilation, 126 pp. at pdf page 52, accessed July 31, 2011
- Wisconsin Vote, 2012 Election results, accessed November 29, 2012.
- Democracy Addicts Joe Knilans, Project SmartALEC/Wisconsin legislators. Database. Accessed August 1, 2011