KWGN-2, WB (TV Station)
|Fake TV News: A CMD Special Report|
|This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's special report, Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed.|
Click here to read the report summary.
KWGN-2 is a Denver, Colorado television station and an affiliate of the WB television network.
Use of Video News Releases and/or Satellite Media Tours
In the 8am news bulletin on November 9, 2005 the station broadcast an edited and -re-voiced video news release produced by D S Simon Productions for Trend Micro on e-mail 'phishing' scams. The VNR was incorporated into a nationally syndicated TV segment hosted by "CyberGuy" Kurt Knutsson. 
Response to Report
- Carl Bilek, newly named acting news director at Channel 2, hopes the FCC will go easy on him. "First and foremost, our blanket policy is we don't use VNRs," he said. "This was not a locally produced story. We didn't know it contained a VNR. It doesn't make it right because it shouldn't have happened."
6160 S Wabash Way
Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111
Phone: 303 740-2222
- Audio news releases
- Brand Hype
- Branded Entertainment
- Media releases
- Satellite Media Tours
- Radio Media Tours
- Public Service Announcements
- Video news releases: PR for California's Schwarzenegger administration
- Diane Farsetta and Daniel Price, "Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed: A multimedia report on television newsrooms' use of material provided by PR firms on behalf of paying clients", Center for Media and Democracy, April 6, 2006.
- Dick Kreck, "Channel 2 under scrutiny in "fake news" investigation; It walks and talks like news but it isn't news", Denver Post, June 4, 2006.