Kakanj Thermal Power Plant
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bosnia-Herzegovina and coal.|
Kakanj Thermal Power Plant is a 450-megawatt (MW) brown coal-fired power station in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Two additional 300 MW units have been proposed. The new additions are also referred to as Kakanj B.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station near Kananj.
On its website Elektroprivreda BiH states that 32 megawatt (units 1 and 2) were commissioned in 1956. A further two 32MW units were commissioned in 1960. These four units have now been decommissioned. The 110MW Units 5 and 6 were commissioned respectively in 1969 and 1977. Both these plants were modernised in the mid 1990's following the Bosnian War. The 230MW Unit 7 was commissioned in 1988 has recently been rebuilt.
Elektroprivreda BiH states on its website that the Kakanj power station burns approximately 1.8 million tons of coal from "mines Kakanj, Breza and Zenica, and in smaller amount mines Gračanica, Bila and Livno."
A possible 300 MW expansion of the existing power station has been floated by Elektroprivreda BiH. China National Electric Engineering CO., Ltd (CNEEC) has reportedly expressed interest in the project. In May 2011 Elektroprivreda BiH stated that CNEEC had gained Chinese government and banks' support to finance the project. It was also reported that construction of the new unit was "planned in mid-2013".
A long-range plan for Elektroprivrede released in 2014 shows Unit 8 scheduled for going into construction in 2018 and entering service in 2022.
On its website (2014), Elektroprivreda BiH states that the power station has received an environmental permit, and construction is scheduled to begin in 2015 and end in 2019. According to a March 2017 report by Bankwatch, the plant’s original environmental permit expired. A new one was issued in July 2017.
An additional 300 MW expansion has been announced for beginning construction in 2028 and going into service in 2032.
Project Details for Unit 8
- Sponsor: Elektroprivreda BiH
- Parent company:
- Location: Kakanj, FBIH, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Coordinates: 44.089722, 18.114444 (exact)
- Status: Unit 8: Permitted; Unit 9: Announced
- Capacity: Unit 8: 300 MW; Unit 9: 300 MW
- Start date: Unit 8: 2022; Unit 9: 2032
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Thermal-power plant Kakanj", Elektroprivreda BiH website, accessed September 2012.
- Maja Zuvela, "China's CNEEC eyes Bosnia's $584 mln coal-fired unit", Reuters, May 30, 2011.
- "Dugoročni plan razvoja Elektroprivrede BiH do 2030. sa Strategijskim planom," Electroprivreda Bosne i Hercegovine, 29 May 2014, p. 142
- "Unit 8 TPP 'Kakanj,'” Elektroprivreda BiH, accessed May 2014.
- [http://www.cekor.org/documents/pages/649_2.pdf "Carbon costs for planned coal power plants in the Western Balkans and the risk of stranded assets,"] Bankwatch, March 29, 2017
- Block 8 Permit, Bosnia Ministry of Environment and Tourism, July 7, 2017