Kakwara Ultra Mega Power Project
The Kakwara Ultra Mega Power Project is a proposed 4,000 MW coal-fired power station in Bihar, India.
The map below shows the village of Kakwara, the approximate location where the power station would be built.
In January 2014 the India Ministry of Power cleared the proposal for a 4,000 MW ultra mega-power project (UMPP) in Banka, expected to be commissioned by 2019-2020. The state would get 2,000 MW. A team from the Ministry and the Power Finance Corporation, along with state government officials, visited two sites to assess the project’s feasibility, and chose the village of Kakwara. According to one report, would be constructed by the Bihar State Power Holding Company Limited. However, the annual report of Power Finance Corporation lists Bihar Mega Power Limited as a 100% subsidiary.
In August 2014 it was reported that the state government would begin work on the project. In May 2015 the state said it was seeking a coal block allocation, which it needs to secure financing for the project.
In March 2016 the India government said it planned to bid out three ultra mega power projects that year: Cheyyur in Tamil Nadu, Bedabahal in Odisha and Kakwara (Banka) in Bihar. According to India's proposed Electricity Plan 2017-2022, fresh bids will be issued on the UMPP after finalization of standard bidding documents by the expert committee.
In June 2016 the project was issued a terms of reference.
In June 2017 Power minister Piyush Goyal said the project's future was uncertain: "The Centre has already identified the coal block for the power plant but any further development on the project would depend on availability of power purchase agreements. Our national exchange has already more power than required and the viability of new power projects would depend on the availability of buyers for the power produced."
As of December 2018 the project has not received environmental clearance, and plans appear to be deferred or abandoned.
- Sponsor: Bihar Mega Power Limited
- Parent company: Power Finance Corporation
- Location: Kakwara village, Banka district, Bihar, India
- Coordinates: 24.833324, 86.8748188 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 4,000 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Domestic
- Source of financing:
- Permit and applications: Terms of reference, India MoEF, June 7, 2016
Articles and resources
- "Nod to Banka power project - 4000MW plant to start by end of decade," The Telegraph, Jan 23, 2014.
- "BSPHCL – Kakwara Ultra Mega Power Plant, Bihar," World Construction Network, Feb 3, 2014.
- "PFC 30th Annual Report, 2015-2016," pages 151-152
- "Government begins work on four new ultra mega power projects," The Economic Times, Aug 24, 2014.
- "Coal hope for ultra power plant," The Telegraph, May 1, 2015
- "Energiser for mega power projects," Telegraph, March 1, 2016
- India Electricity Plan 2017-2022, India CEA, Dec 2016, page Intro 1.25
- Terms of reference, India MoEF, June 7, 2016
- "Hold-up cloud over Banka project," The Telegraph, June 13, 2017