Kawai Thermal Power Project
The Kawai Thermal Power Project is a 1320 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Kawai, District Baran, Rajasthan, India. It was commissioned in 2014. The project was developed by Adani Power Rajasthan Limited (APRL), a subsidiary of Adani Power.
Adani has proposed expanding the power station by 1600 MW.
The undated satellite photo below shows the project north of Kawi Salpura in Baran district, Rajasthan.
In its 2010-2011 annual report Adani states that:
- "a power purchase agreement has been executed with Jaipur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited, Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited and Jodhpur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited for the sale of 1,200 MW power for a term of 25 years at a tariff having a non-escalable component and an escalable component for fuel & fuel transportation with yearly escalation as notified by CERC escalation indexes from time to time.
- "In addition, land and water requirement for the implementation of the Kawai power project has been fulfilled. The environmental clearance for the power project has been recommended by Expert Appraisal Committee, MoEF, GoI. An application for domestic coal linkage to meet the coal requirements of the Kawai power project has been made. Entire 1320 MW capacity is expected to be commissioned by FY14."
According to the Central Electricity Authority, Unit 1 will be commissioned in January 2013 and Unit 2 in April 2013.
The power station was commissioned in January 2014.
Phase II expansion
In September 2014 Adani Power applied to expand the power station by 1600 MW. However, there has been no further progress, and it appears that the project is cancelled.
Sponsor: Adani Power
Location: Kawai village, Atru taluk, Baran district, Rajasthan
Coordinates: 24.7779971, 76.7371443 (exact)
Status: Operating (Phase I); Cancelled (Phase II)
- Phase I: 1320 MW (2 x 660 MW)
- Phase II: 1600 MW
Start year: 2014 (Phase I)
Estimated annual CO2: 7,806,085
Source of financing:
Permits and applications:
- Phase I: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, May 4, 2011; and Environmental Clearance Amendment, India MoEF, March 14, 2014, "Pre Feasibility Report," Adani Power Rajasthan Limited, 3 September 2014
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Power Generation" Adani Power, accessed July 2011
- Adani Power, "15th Annual Report: 2010-2011", Adani Power, July 2011, page 16. (Page number is based on the page numbering at the foot of pages in the document. Otherwise it is page 27 of the pdf.)
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, September 2012
- "Adani Power commissions Kawai power project," Adani press release, January 06, 2014.
- Form 1, India MoEF, Sep 4, 2014
- "Adani Power may not develop Dahej, Kawai projects", Business Standard, July 20, 2009.