Koch and Arizona State University (ASU)
Follow the money in the Koch wiki.
Arizona State University (ASU) is the largest public university in the U.S. by enrollment, at 83,301 students in the Fall of 2014.. ASU is located on five distinct campuses across the metropolitan Phoenix area.
ASU recently accepted two multi-million dollar grant pledges from the Charles Koch Foundation to establish two new research centers.  Public scrutiny over the new operations escalated in 2016 when Arizona’s legislature specifically earmarked $5 million for the two newly established centers at ASU, and a similar Koch-funded center at the University of Arizona (UA) in the state’s budget plan. The use of taxpayer funds for Koch-affiliated campus centers was opposed by professors, students and legislators concerned ideological ties to big businesses and partisan political figures.
In May, 2017, the Arizona legislature and governor approved a state budget that earmarked $2 million for the "freedom schools" at ASU and UA. Out of $15 million in total taxpayer funding to state universities, ASU received $7.6 million, $1 million of which was for the Koch-funded campus center.
Koch money to ASU
- $230,700 paid
- $831,000 unpaid pledge approved for future payments
- $1,129,000 unpaid pledge for the ASU Center for Political Thought and Leadership 
- $3,500,000 unpaid pledge for the ASU Center for the Study of Economic Liberty 
- $917,227 paid
- $25,000 paid for "ASU Foundation For A New American University"
- Arizona State University, About, accessed November, 2016
- Arizona State University, Quick Facts PDF, Fall 2014
- Arizona State University, ASU Campuses and Locations, accessed November, 2016
- Sharon Keeler, New ASU center to engage community in politics, leadership, ASU Now, July 25, 2014
- Arizona Republic, ASU creates economic-liberty center with $5 million in gifts, Nov. 28, 2014
- Alex Kotch, The Koch Brothers Are Using This State as Their Right-Wing Laboratory, AlterNet, May 23, 2016.
- Howard Fischer, Ducey signs $9.8 billion state budget, Arizona Daily Star, via Capital Media Services, May 12, 2017
- Charles Koch University Funding Database, PolluterWatch, accessed May, 2017.
- Michael Hiltzik, When universities sell their souls, why do they have to sell so cheaply?, Los Angeles Times, July 30, 2014
- Director Named For ASU’s Center For Political Thought And Leadership, Arizona Daily Independent, July 26, 2017
Academic Freedom References
- 1940 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure, American Association of University Professors (AAUP), endorsed January 1, 1916, accessed August 7, 2016
- Protecting Academic Freedom, American Association of University Professors (AAUP), accessed August 7, 2016
- Fritz Machlup, On Some Misconceptions concerning Academic Freedom, JSTOR, originally published in the Bulletin of the American Association of University Professors, Vol. 41, No. 4 (Winter, 1955), pp. 753-784
- AAC&U Board of Directors, Academic Freedom and Educational Responsibility, Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U), January 6, 2006
- Academic Freedom, American Federation of Teachers (AFT), accessed August 7, 2016.
- ACRL Board of Directors, ACRL Statement on Academic Freedom, Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL), June 2015
- Academic Freedom, National Center for Science Education (NCSE), accessed August 7, 2016
- Constantine Sandis, Free Speech Within Reason, Times Higher Education, January 21, 2010
- Liviu Andreescu, Foundations of Academic Freedom: Making New Sense of Some Aging Arguments, Studies in Philosophy and Education, 28:499, November 8, 2009, accessed August 7, 2016 via Springerlink,
- Colin Macilwain, Time to cry out for academic freedom, Column: World View, Nature, November 18, 2015
- Colleen Flaherty, Unacademic Freedom?, Inside Higher Ed, March 1, 2016
- Valerie Strauss, Does ‘academic freedom’ protect professors who promote outrageous falsehoods?, Answer Sheet blog, Washington Post, March 7, 2016
- Academic freedom, Wikipedia, accessed August 7, 2016
- Cary Nelson, Defining Academic Freedom, Inside Higher Ed, December 21, 2016
- Terence Karran, [Academic freedom: a research bibliography http://eprints.lincoln.ac.uk/1763/], University of Lincoln Repository, January 22, 2009
- Academic Freedom, The Free Dictionary: Legal DIctionary, Farlex, Accessed August 7, 2016
- Academic Freedom at Johns Hopkins, Office of the Provost, Johns Hopkins University, May 2014, accessed August 7, 2016
- Marc Rotenberg, Academic Freedom Lecture Fund, University of Michigan, accessed August 7, 2016
- Elizabeth Nolan Brown, Academic Freedom Is On the Decline, and Here's the Data to Prove It, Hit and Run blog, Reason Foundation, May 11, 2015
Koch and Academic Freedom
- John K. Wilson, The Koch Foundation and Academic Freedom, Academe Blog, American Association of University Professors (AAUP), January 18, 2015
- Hank Reichman, On Blacklists, Harassment, and Outside Funders: A Response to Phil Magness, Academe Blog, American Association of University Professors (AAUP), April 11, 2017
- Valerie Strauss, Charles Koch Foundation’s unique definition of ‘academic freedom’, Answer Sheet blog, Washington Post, November 7, 2014
- Gale Sigal and Steve Boyd, Koch Pledge To Eudaimonia Is Not A Gift, Old Gold & Black, Wake Forest University, April 30, 2017
- James Ford and Ulrike Wiethaus, Faculty Senate at Wake Forest Explains Opposition to Koch-Funded Institute, Chronicle of Higher Education, May 12, 2017
- Kent S. Miller & Ray Bellamy, Fine Print, Restrictive Grants, and Academic Freedom: The limits to “free” in free-market foundation donations at Florida State University, American Association of University Professors (AAUP), May/June 2011
- Michael Burke, The Whitman School’s receipt of a Charles Koch Foundation grant is raising academic freedom concerns, The Daily Orange, Syracuse University, Feb. 2, 2017
- Editorial, Koch brothers’ donation to Syracuse University is a red flag for academic freedom at the expense of two of the country’s richest men, The Daily Orange, Syracuse University, Feb. 1, 2017
- Dan Berrett, Not Just Florida State, Inside Higher Ed, June 28, 2011
- Stanley Fish, Sex, the Koch Brothers, and Academic Freedom, Opinionator Blog, New York Times, May 16, 2011
- Connor Gibson, Koch Pollution on Campus: Academic Freedom Under Assault from Charles Koch's $50 Million Campaign to Infiltrate Higher Education, Greenpeace USA, September, 2014
- Shared Governance, American Association of University Professors (AAUP), accessed August 7, 2016
- How to Make Shared Governance Work: Some Best Practices, Trusteeship Magazine, Association of Governing Boards, accessed August 7, 2016