La Loma power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Colombia and coal.|
La Loma power station (known locally as Carboeléctrico La Loma or Central Carboeléctrico Carboloma) is a proposed 350-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in El Carmen, El Paso, César, Colombia.
The map below shows El Paso, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
La Loma power station was the first new coal-fired plant proposed in Colombia's northern César department since Isagen's 300 MW Termocesar project in Tamalameque was abandoned over a decade earlier. Project sponsor EPM announced the La Loma project in 2011, presenting a proposal to the Colombian national environmental agency ANLA (Autoridad Nacional de Licencias Ambientales).
In August 2015, ANLA definitively rejected EPM's request for an environmental permit. As of January 2018, given the lack of subsequent mention of the La Loma power station in press or government reports, the project appears to have been permanently abandoned.
Soon after the La Loma project was announced, local residents began to speak out against it. Coal has long been a controversial subject in this part of northern Colombia, with residents regularly expressing concerns about the health, safety and environmental impact of multinational mining operations at the nearby La Loma mine.
- Sponsor: EPM (Empresas Públicas de Medellín)
- Parent company: Isagen
- Location: El Carmen, El Paso, César, Colombia
- Coordinates: 9.674224, -73.671143 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 350 MW
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "EPM presentó a Corpocesar avances del proyecto Carboeléctrico La Loma,", Valledupar Noticias, July 26, 2012.
- "Sí a carboeléctrica, dice experto cesarense,", El Pilón, September 5, 2013.
- "RESOLUCIÓN 1033 POR MEDIO DE LA CUAL SE NIEGA UNA LICENCIA AMBIENTAL,", ANLA, August 24, 2015.
- "El Paso se opone a construcción de carboeléctrica en La Loma, Cesar,", El Heraldo, January 17, 2013.
- "En El Paso Cesar, no quieren carboeléctrica,", El Pilón, January 19, 2013.
- "La Loma Mine, Colombia,", Environmental Justice Atlas, accessed April 2014.