Lakhisarai Thermal Power Station
The Lakhisarai Thermal Power Station is a proposed 1320 megawatt coal-fired power station in Bihar, India.
The map below shows Surajgarha taluk, Lakhisarai district, the approximate location where the plant will be built.
The project was originally located in Katihar but was moved to Lakhisarai district.
The project is scheduled to be commissioned in 2015-16 with power to be sold to the Bihar State Electricity Board (BSEB). The project was approved by the Bihar State Investment Promotion Board in February 2009 and the Bihar state cabinet in May 2011.
The BSEB states that 6.25 million tonnes a year of coal will be required for the project. BSEB also states that the Bihar Water Resources Department has given consent for 55 Cusec from the Ganga River and Central Water Commission clearance was granted on September 15, 2010.
In February 2014 it was reported that a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed between NTPC, Bihar State Power Generation Company (BSPGCL), and Lakhisarai Bijlee Company for NTPC to develop the 1,320 MW Lakhisarai thermal project. The project would be developed as a joint venture, with NTPC having 74 per cent stake and the rest BSPGCL.
In January 2016 it was reported the MoU for the plant would expire by the following month, and the project sponsors made no communication about an extension.
As of September 2016 the project has yet to receive environmental clearance from the India MoEF.
As of December 2016, it appears that the project has been abandoned.
In April 2011 it was announced that BSEB would invest INR83,430m ($1,856.34m) in the construction of the project.
According to the Telegraph, the project faced opposition from environmental activists due to its proximity to the Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary.
Sponsor: Bihar State Power Generation Company, NTPC
Location: Pokhrawan and Lai village, Surajgarha taluk, Lakhisarai district, Bihar
Coordinates: 25.18036, 86.25903 (approximate)
Capacity: 1320 MW
Projected in service:
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing: BSEB
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "PENDING APPLICATION OF SEBs UPTO 31ST JULY, 2011," Ministry of Coal report, item #13
- Bihar State Electricity Board, "New Projects", Bihar State Electricity Board website, accessed November 2011.
- Bihar State Investment Promotion Board, "Proposals Approved by State Investment Promotion Board (SIPB)", Bihar State Investment Promotion Board, December 2011, page 16.
- "NTPC signs MoU with Bihar Power Genco & Lakhisarai Bijlee," NBC, Feb 26, 2014.
- "NTPC to set up 1,320-MW power plant in Bihar," The Economic Times, Feb 23, 2014.
- "Bihar may lose two power projects," Business Standard, Jan 11, 2016
- "BSEB To Invest $1,856 Million For Lakhisarai Thermal Power Plant In Bihar, India", Research Views, April 14, 2011.
- Dev Raj, "Power Step Forward and Back," Telegraph, March 8, 2016
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|