The BBC says of the media, "The ruling communists maintain strict control over the media. The government owns all newspapers and broadcast media." Reporters Without Borders says that most media only gives out news which is favourable to the government. 
- 1893 - Laos becomes a French protectorate.
- 1950 - Laos is granted some independence.
- 1954 - Laos gets full independence as a constitutional monarchy. Fighting starts between the royalists and communist Pathet Lao.
- 1960s - The U.S. subjects Laos to extensive aerial bombardment as part of the Vietnam War.
- 1975 - King Savang Vatthana gives up power to the Lao People's Front (Pathet Lao).
- 1986 - Market-oriented reforms begin.
- 2007 - U.S. prosecutors charge nine people in California, U.S. with plotting a coup against Laos, which the prosecutors said would have led to the death of thousands.
- Laos, National Geographic, accessed November 2007.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|