Lara Integrated Thermal Power Project
Lara Integrated Thermal Power Project is a 1,600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station under development in Chhattisgarh, India.
An additional 1600 MW has been proposed.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Mahloi village, Pussore taluk.
In September 2011, BGR Energy Systems announced that it has won the contract from NTPC to supply the supercritical steam turbine generator units for the Lara Super Thermal Prower Project (2 x 800 MW), the Darlipali Super Thermal Power Project Stage I (2 x 800 MW), the Gajmara Super Thermal Power Project Stage I (2 x 800 MW) and the Kudgi Super Thermal Power Project Stage I (3 x 800 MW).
Units 1 and 2 have a planned commissioning of 2017. As of 2014 the power station is under construction. Local residents say the project's EIA was flawed and the mandatory public hearing was never properly conducted.
As of August 2014, NTPC's list of future capacity additions through 2032 included an additional 2400 MW for the Lara project, for 4,000 MW total.
There was no developments on the proposed expansion until April 2018, when NTPC said it planned to begin the tendering process for two 800 MW units at the Lara power plant, units 3-4. Plans for the fifth 800 MW unit appears to have been dropped.
On October 24, 2018, the terms of reference for the two new units was granted, after the application was submitted on July 20, 2018.
It was reported in September 2013 that "People of at least 50 villages in 12 gram panchayats of Jharsuguda's Lakhanpur block have opposed the 4,000 MW NTPC power project at Lora in Chhattisgarh ... 'We have decided to organize a road blockade on September 19 on the Odisha-Chhattisgarh border,' said sarpanch of Attabira Sanjib Pradhan." Sarpanch noted that forests in and around the region will be affected by the project.
- Owner/Parent Company: NTPC
- Plant Capacity: 3,200 MW (Units 1-4: 800 MW)
- Location: Mahloi village, Pussore taluk, Raigarh district, Chhattisgarh
- Coordinates: 21.7576613, 83.457545 (exact)
- Unit 1: Operating
- Unit 2: Construction
- Units 3-4: Pre-permit development
- Start Year:
- Unit 1: 2018
- Unit 2: 2019
- Coal Consumption:
- Coal Source:
- Number of Employees:
Articles and resources
- "NTPC to invest Rs 787 Crores towards environmental protection measures in Lara-Raigarh Project" IndiaCSR, December 21, 2011.
- "BGR bas Rs.3,600 cr NTPC contract," The Hindu, September 17, 2011
- "NTPC Investor presentation," August 1, 2013.
- "NTPC Lara plant to devastate 6 GPs in Odisha: WIO," Odisha Sun Times Bureau, Sep 29, 2014
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, November 2017
- "Installed capacity," India CEA, 31.03.2018
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, Feb 2018
- "Future Capacity Additions," NTPC website, accessed August 2014
- "NTPC to float tenders to meet FY19 capacity addition target," Financial Express, Apr 20, 2018
- "Terms of Reference," India MoEF, October 24, 2018
- "Villagers oppose NTPC plant" Times of India, September 14, 2013.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Lanco Amarkantak (Pathadi) Coal Power Plant India, Global Energy Observatory