Los Barrios power station
Los Barrios power station is a 568-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Los Barrios, Spain.
The photo below shows the plant in Los Barrios, Cadiz, Andalusia.
Los Barrios power station is an existing 568 MW subcritical coal plant in Spain. It began operating in 1985, and is owned by E.ON Espana.
In response, Greenpeace Spain objected that building a new project was "incomprehensible," not only in terms of its immediate environmental and climate effects, but also Spain's electricity needs. Greenpeace argues the current 568 MW plant at Los Barrios is underutilized, calling into question the rationale for a new facility.
With no developments since the June 2013 announcement, plans for the plant appear to be abandoned.
Project Details of unit 2
- Sponsor: Endesa
- Parent company: Enel
- Location: Los Barrios, Cadiz, Andalusia, Spain
- Coordinates: 36.1828, -5.42 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 800 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Los Barrios Coal Plant Spain," Global Energy Observatory, accessed August 2014
- "Anuncios," Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, 21 June 2013, Núm. 120 página 249
- "Greenpeace se opone al proyecto de Endesa de ampliar la central térmica de carbón de Los Barrios," Greenpeace España website, 9 June 2013
- "Greenpeace pide a la Junta de Andalucía que no autorice una nueva térmica de carbón en Cádiz," Greenpeace España website, 5 June 2014