Mawa power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
The Mawa power station is a proposed 660-megawatt (MW) coal-fired in Mawa (Maowa), Munshiganj, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB) sought proposals from private generators to build, own, and operate coal plants. Among the projects, one would be near Maowa (Mawa) in Munshiganj district.
The BPDB stated that one of the proposed power stations would be on land "at the bank of river Padma (10 km up or down stream of Proposed Padma Bridge), Maowa, Munshiganj, Bangladesh." In preliminary documentation for the project, BPDB stated that the private developer would be responsible for locating and purchasing the site and arranging coal supply and loading facilities.
According to a January 2014 report in The Daily Star, the BPDB "signed 3 IPP contracts for coal fired power generation with Orion groups for 1,200 MW (522 MW plant at Mawa, Munshiganj, 300 MW plants at Labanchara, Khulna and at Anwara, Chittagong)...As per the contract, the PDB agreed to buy per kilowatt hour (each unit) electricity at 5.8497 US cents (Tk 4.095) from Mawa plant..."
According to a May 2014 report in The Daily Star, Orion signed agreements worth US$191 million with GE of the USA for a steam turbine generator and with Doosan of South Korea for a boiler turbine generator for a 660 MW plant.
A January 2016 article said Orion applied for an EIA in July 2013, and was awarded a "conditional EIA" in July 2015, with conditions including flue-gas desulfurization equipment. Orion said the conditions prohibitively raised project costs and requested a supplementary tariff.
As of October 2016, there have been no reports of progress in development of the plant in over two years. An article in Energy Central described three Orion Group projects -- the Mawa power station, the Chittagong power station (Orion), and the Khulna power station (Orion) -- as "underimplemented.
In March 2018 Orion Group said it was still trying to acquire land for the project.
- Sponsor: Orion Group
- Parent company:
- Location: Mawa (Maowa), Munshiganj, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 23.46, 90.54 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 660 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Power Generation Project From 2013 to 2017" Bangladesh Power Development Board, January 1, 2013.
- "Primary energy supply challenges for power" Mushfiqur Rahman, The Daily Star, January 1, 2014.
- Bangladesh Power Development Board, "Notice for the pre-Qualification of Sponsors For Implementation of a 300-650 MW Coal Fired Power Project on a build own operate (BOO) Basis at Maowa, Munshiganj, Bangladesh", November 3, 2010.
- Bangladesh Power Development Board, "Implementation of a 300-650 MW Coal Fired Power Project on a build own operate (BOO) Basis at Maowa, Munshiganj, Bangladesh", November 2010.
- "Orion signs deals for generators for its 660MW power plant," The Daily Star, May 11, 2014
- Sharier Khan, "Coal Power Loses Steam in Bangladesh," Asia News Network, January 4, 2016
- "Orion signs deal for 635MW coal-fired power plant in Munshiganj," Energy Central, April 24, 2016
- "No progress in 19 power plants yet," The Bangladesh Post, March 9, 2018