Margherita power station
Margherita power station is a proposed 660-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Assam state, India. The project is proposed by North Eastern Electric Power Corporation.
The map below shows the location of Tinsukia district but not the exact location of the project.
According to information provided by the North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd. (NEDFi) in 2021, Assam Power Generation Corporation has entered into a draft joint venture agreement with North Eastern Electric Power Corporation to develop the Margherita power station. A team of officials of NTPC along with Assam Power Generation Corporation officials have visited the project site. The Ministry of Coal was being approached for a coal linkage, which was granted in September 2014.
In March 2016 the terms of reference was extended.
In 2017 NTPC sent Assam Power Generation Company Ltd (APGCL) a project report for setting up a 1600 MW coal plant at Margherita. Coal India Limited would provide coal linkage to the project from Northeastern coalfields. As of February 2018, NTPC was still waiting for a response. If accepted, the sponsor would have to apply for and receive a new or amended terms of reference from the India government for the larger project.
Sponsor: North Eastern Electric Power Corporation and Assam Power Generation Corporation
Location: Saleki NC village, Makum Mouza taluk, Tinsukia district (in Upper Assam), Assam
Coordinates: 27.489464, 95.360144 (Approximate)
Status: Pre-permit development
Capacity: 660 MW
Projected in service:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, March 15, 2013; Terms of Reference, India MoEF, March 30, 2016
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Power and Energy Position in Assam," NEDFi Databank, accessed February 2012.
- "Centre to supply coal for Margherita thermal power plant; project to be completed within 4 years," DY 365, 9/9/2014
- "Centre okays coal linkage to Margherita thermal plant," NE India News, Sep 9, 2014
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, March 15, 2013.
- "Terms of Reference amendment," India MoEF, Dec 12, 2014
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, March 30, 2016
- "Facing coal shortage, NTPC worried even as its third Bongaigaon unit is ready," Indian Express, Feb 15, 2018